Map Resources: Internet Map Resources
A favorite site for driving directions.
- Google Maps
Useful for both driving directions and satellite maps of the US.
- Local Live (MapBlast)
Another site for driving directions, including construction on major highways.
- The National Map United States Geological Survey (USGS)
An interactive topographic map of the US.
Find time of day elsewhere.
Colorado Thematic Maps
- Legislative Districts
Click on "district maps" for legislative district maps at the state and federal levels.
- State Planning and Management Regions
This map shows Colorado planning region and county boundaries.
- Fort Collins Government Geographic Information Services
Shop for printed maps.
- Colorado State Land Board Map Server
- Map Collections (Library of Congress)
Useful for examples rather than comprehensive collections.
Up-to-date online maps for the US covering many themes.
- National Atlases (Library of Congress)
Full text and maps from the US National Atlas of 1970 and US atlases from 1870, 1880, and 1890.
- Geologic Atlas of the United States, 1894-1945. A digital project of the Texas A&M University Libraries, this is a set of 227 folios published by the U.S. Geological Survey between 1894 and 1945. Each folio has topographic and geologic maps for each quadrant in the folio.
- National Geographic Map Collection
Historical folded maps originally included in the magazine.
- Office of Coast Survey (NOAA)
A large collection searchable by geographic name.
- Perry-Castaneda Map Collection
Scroll down for a link to historical maps.
- Historical Map Archive, University of Alabama Libraries. Digitized historical maps from several libraries in Alabama, coordinated and housed by the University of Alabama Libraries.
- David Rumsey Map Collection
Thousands of online maps, particularly for 18th and 19th century North and South America.
- Federal Newsmaps (University of North Texas)
These maps were produced during World War II and immediately afterward.
- Maps of Africa (Northwestern University Libraries)
Includes 16th through the 20th centuries.
- Hawaii Historical Topographical Quadrangle Maps 1910-1933 (University of Hawaii Libraries)
1:31,650 scale for all the islands except for Oahu which is at 1:20,000 scale. These are downloadable as a geotiff, which means that it can be imported into a Geographic Information System. You may also simply view the tiff as a jpeg with any image viewer.
Latitude & Longitude
- US Board on Geographic Names (USGS)
For place names in the US only. Includes name of topo quad map also.
International in scope. Specific images for places include latitude and longitude.
- Geonet Names Server (NGA)
For geographic feature names in countries other than the US.
- Latitude/Longitude Conversions (FCC)
Permits conversion of latitude and longitude between decimal degrees and degrees, minutes, and seconds.
- Latitude/Longitude Tools in Google Maps
Blog posting describing how to enable these tools in Google Maps
- Introduction to Latitude and Longitude (National Geographic)
- Blank and Outline Maps
Blank maps that show boundaries only for countries and US states.
- Colorado Thematic Map Gallery (Colorado State Demography Office)
PDF and JPEG for various maps of Colorado with counties and municipalities.
- Color Landform Atlas of the United States
State maps with colored/shaded relief.
- National Map Printable Maps
Federal lands, congressional districts, and historical maps among others.
- National Geographic
Links to maps for countries and states in black-and-white with borders, cities, and rivers.
- Perry-Castaneda Map Collection
Country and state maps in both JPEG and PDF.
Aerial photos and topographic maps of places in the US.
- United Nations Cartographic Section
Maps of many regions and countries; detail varies.