PDI Searching the Scientific Literature
Get it for me now: searching for a known item
Potato vs. Solanum tuberosum: searching for something using keywords or terms
You want what? Searching for something that you aren't quite sure of
The meaning of life: Making sense out of the data or research information
Searching time & Questions
Tools for Effective Searching
1. Keywords, Broader terms, Narrower terms
Use a variety of keywords to describe your
topic. Use the common name and scientific name, if you know both of those words/terms. If you begin your research by using reference materials such as
encyclopedias, you will often run across vocabulary to describe your topic.
- global warming or climate change
- "mountain pine beetle" OR dendroctonus ponderosae
- "alternative fuel*" OR ethanol OR biofuel*
- "war on drugs"
- "alternative fuel*"
- flood* → flood, floods, flooded, flooding
- psycholog* → psychology, psychological, psychologist
- ("mountain pine beetle" OR dendroctonus ponderosae) AND (colorado OR rocky mountain)
- "war on drugs" AND Mexico AND United States
- dolphins NOT football