Empires & Globalization in the Modern World (19th C- Present) Introduction
This page lists resources related to Empires and Globalization in the Modern World. Emphasis is on the rise, fall, and endurance of empires of the modern world.
- Russia and Soviet Union History 18th C-present, which has an emphasis on imperialism & empire building.
- Asian Emperor or Empress (Asia 7th Century BC through the 20th Century) for Asian civilization. There is a section with Japanese History Web sites (as well as earlier sections with specific book titles and terms to use to identify books on Japan in the library catalog).
- Modern Latin American History (1800- ).
- United States of America (History). American History.
Here are reference books available in print and digitally.
- Countries and Their Cultures. 4 vols. GN307 .C68 2001 Reference and CTConline to CSU affiliates
- Dictionary of the British Empire and Commonwealth. DA16 .P35 1996 Reference South
- Dictionary of Wars. D 25 .A2 K63 1999 Reference
- Encyclopedia of Modern Asia. DS4 .L48 2002 Reference and EMAonline to CSU Affiliates
- Encyclopedia of Western Colonialism Since 1450. EWestConline to CSU affiliates
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures. GN307 .E532 2002 Reference South
- Encyclopedia of World Cultures. EWonline to CSU affiliates
- Encyclopedia of World History. D 21 .E577 2000 Reference
- Encyclopedia of World History. D 21 .E578 2001 Reference
- Europe, 1450 to 1789: Encyclopedia of the Early Modern World. E1450online to CSU affiliates.
- Europe 1789-1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of Industry and Empire. E1789online to CSU affiliates.
- Europe Since 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of War and Reconstruction. ES1914online to CSU affiliates.
- Gale Encyclopedia of World History: Governments. GEWHGonline to CSU affiliates.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library. GVRLonline to CSU affiliates
- Government, Politics, and Protest: Essential Primary Sources. GPPEPSonline to CSU affiliates.
- Governments of the World: A Global Guide to Citizens' Rights and Responsibilities. GWGGCRRonline to CSU affiliates.
- Ground Warfare An International Encyclopedia. 3 vols. D 25 .A2 G76 2002 Reference
- Historical Dictionary of the British Empire. DA16 .H56 1996 Reference South
- Invasions and Conquests from Ancient Times to the Present. D 25 .A2 D38 1996 Reference
- Magill's Guide to Military History. 5 vols. D 25 .A2 M34 1001 Reference
- New Encyclopedia of Africa. NEAfonline to CSU affiliates.
- One Europe, Many Nations: A Historical Dictionary of European National Groups. D21.3 .M55 2000 Reference South
- The Oxford Companion to Military History. D 25 .A2 O94 2001 Reference
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations. 2007 ed. WENonline to CSU affiliates.
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of World Cultures and Daily Life. 4 vols. GN333 .W67 1998 Reference
Circulating Research Materials of Interest
Be sure to look through any bibliographies for additional materials.
- The Anthropology of Europe: Identity and Boundaries in Conflict. GN575 .A58 1994 Morgan
- British Documents at the End of the Empire. Prospector.
- The British Empire: An Encyclopedia of the Crown's Holdings, 1493 through 1995. DA16 .S84 1996 Storage
- The Cambridge Survey of World Migration. JV6021 .C35 1995 Morgan
- Colonialism: An International, Social, Cultural and Political Encyclopedia. 3 vols. HV22 .C59 2003 Morgan
- Empire and Dissent: The United States and Latin America. F1418 .E48 2008 Morgan
- From Protest to Challenge: a Documentary History of African Politics In South Africa, 1882-1964. 4 vols. DT763 .F73 Storage
- The Japanese Colonial Empire, 1895-1945. JV5260 .J36 1984 Morgan
- Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of World Cultures. 9 vols. GN307 .J85 1999 Curriculum and JWEWConline to CSU affiliates
- Latin America and the United States: A Documentary History. F1418 .L354 2000 Morgan
- Living with Colonialism: Nationalism and Culture in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. DT156.7 .S55 2003 Morgan
- Multi-Ethnic France: Immigration, Politics, Culture and Society. JV7925 .H375 2007 Morgan (Missing--use Prospector)
- The Opium Empire: Japanese Imperialism and Drug Trafficking in Asia, 1895-1945. HV5840.A74 J45 1997 Morgan
- Latin America, Spain and Portugal, a Selected and Annotated Bibliographical Guide to Books Published in the United States, 1954-1974. Z1601 .W687 Movable Shelves
- Semper ex Africa . . . A Bibliography of Primary Source for Nineteenth-Century Tropical Africa as Recorded by Explorers, Missionaries, Traders, Travelers, Administrators, Military Men, Adventurers, and Others. Z 3501 H47 Storage
- Societies After Slavery: A Select Annotated Bibliography of Printed Sources on Cuba, Brazil, British Colonial Africa, South Africa, and the British West Indies. Z7164.S6 S64 2002 Movable Shelves and SASonline (University of Pittsburgh Press)
- U.S.-Latin American Policymaking: A Reference Handbook. F1418 .A23 1995 Morgan
Books are a key resource for information about Empires and Globalization in the Modern World. The subject headings listed in this section can be used to find books related to this topic in any library catalog which uses Library of Congress Subject Headings, including CSU's online catalog (it is not an exhaustive list). Do a subject search using the terms below to identify books in Sage/Discovery and Prospector (the Colorado Regional Catalog). Books may be requested from Prospector by CSU affiliates.
Indexes (Identify Journal Articles)
Use indexes to identify articles of interest. Be sure to make use of their bibliographies, works cited, and references for additional resources that will help with research on any topic.
- Readers’ Guide to Periodical Literature. AI 3 .R48 Reference 1900-
- Poole's Index to Periodical Literature. AI3 .P6 Reference 1802-1901
- Humanities Index. AI 3 .I495 Reference 1974-1998
- International Index to Periodicals. AI 3 .I49 Reference 1920/1923-1952/1955
- International Index. AI 3 .I49 Reference 1955/1958-1964/1965
- International Political Science Abstracts. JA 36 .I5 Reference 1951-2006
- London Times Index (various titles: Palmer's, etc.) AI 21 T51 & AI21 .T46 Print Newspaper Indexes 1785- ; the newspaper itself is on microfilm in the microtext film section, call number AN .T5 (current issues in print in newspaper area, same call number).
- Nineteenth Century Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, 1890-1899; with supplementary indexing, 1900-1922. AI3 .R496 Reference
- Social Sciences Index. AI 3 .I496 Reference 1974/75-1998/99
America: History & Life. 1954- .
Historical coverage of the United States and Canada. Latin America appears as well.
JSTOR. Full text articles at least 3-5 years old (varies by journal).
Full text or linked to full text for more recent articles (most of them). Contemporary vocabulary is vital for success.
Full text articles (view in PDF).
Historical Abstracts. 1954- .
Covers events of 1450 to the present.
Times Digital Archive (London Times, not including Sundays) 1785-1985.
A newspaper that is international in scope and not only from a country with a history of imperialism, but close to Europe, with its imperialistic heritage.
- WorldCat. Identifies books, archival materials, etc., but not articles. (Subject terms should match those listed under Books. The library catalog, Prospector, and Interlibrary Loan requests can be made directly from WorldCat via the button)
- New York Times 1851- . (Contemporary vocabulary is vital for success.)
- Web of Science. (Arts & Humanities Citation Index)
- African Studies Review. DT 1 .A2293 1971-1983,1985-2001 Movable Shelves and ASRonline 1970- to CSU affiliates
- Asian Survey (continues Far Eastern Survey). DS 1 .A492 Journal Room (current) 1961-1996 Storage and ASonline 1961- to CSU affiliates
- British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. BJMESonline 1991- to CSU affiliates (current year not available)
- Colonial Latin American Review. CLARonline 1996- to 18 months before the present CSU affiliates
- East Central Europe. L'Europe du centre-est. DR2 .E16 1977-1979,1983-2004 Movable Shelves, 1974-1976 Microfilm
- East European Quarterly. DR1 .E4 1967/1968-1970/1971,1972/1973-1974/1975,1981/1982-1994/1995,1996/1997-2008/2009 Journal Room & Movable Shelves. EEQonline 1996-2008 to CSU affiliates.
- Ethnologica Europaea. GN1 .E75 1972-1976,1989-1990,1995-2000 Storage
- The Far Eastern Quarterly (continued by Journal of Asian Studies). FEQonline 1941-1956 to CSU affiliates
- Far Eastern Survey (continued by Asian Survey). FESonline 1935-1961 to CSU affiliates (links to online Asian Survey as well)
- H-France Review. Online journal of book reviews. 2001-
- International Relations of the Asia Pacific. IRAPonline 2001- to CSU affiliates
- Journal of African History. DT1 .J65 1960-1965,1975-1978,1980-1981,1985-1997 Movable Shelves and Storage and JAHonline 1960- to CSU affiliates
- Journal of Asian Studies (continues Far Eastern Quarterly). DS 501 .J6 1956/1957-1961/1962 Microfilm 1962/1963-1976/1977,1978/1979-1997 Movable Shelves and Storage and JASonline 1956- to CSU affiliates
- Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History. JCCHonline 2000- to CSU affiliates (annual bibliography on colonialism and imperialism)
- Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History. JICHonline 2003- (most recent year not available) to CSU affiliates
- Journal of Latin American Studies. F 1401 .J69 1985-1997 Movable Shelves and Storage and JLASonline 1969- to CSU affiliates
- Nationalities Papers. DR24 .N37 & DR24 .N37ej 1976-1977,1980-2001 Storage and NPonline 1999- (most recent year not available) to CSU affiliates
- Pacific Affairs. DU1 .P13 Journal Room (current) 1958-1996/1997 Movable Shelves 1928-1957 Microfilm and PAonline 1928- to CSU affiliates; also NBonline as earlier titles News Bulletin from 1926-1928 (links to online Pacific Affairs also)
- Social Anthropology. GN301 .S63 1995-2006 Movable Shelves and SAonline 1997- to CSU affiliates
Online Newspaper Archives
The British Newspaper Archive. The British Library. 17th Century- . "Discover History As It Happened"
You must pay to access most newspapers in this archive. Register to view limited number of newspaper clippings. Browse by newspaper title or place of publication. Hundreds of titles online. Explore by title or county.
New York Times. Searchable archive for the dates 1851-1980.
CSU affiliates have access to New York Times Historical 1851- (moving wall; most recent 3-4 years not available; more recent years in New York Times ProQuest Digital Microfilm).
List of online newspaper archives. Wikipedia.
As of mid September 2019, a good list of linked titles that include the years covered and whether or not the site is free or fee ("pay").
Check the library catalog and then Prospector for local holdings of items on bibliographies.
- A Bibliography on Africa, 1940-2005. Frederick Cooper. PDF 36 pages. Cambridge University Press.
- Africa: Suggested Readings. M. Crawford Young. Copyright © 1999-2007 by Eric G.E. Zuelow.
- The United States and Latin America, 1850-1940. Rory Miller. University of Liverpool.
Internet African History Sourcebook. Edited by Paul Halsall, Fordham University.
Use table of contents to identify areas of interest such as European Imperialism (divided by General; Analyses and Criticism of Imperialism; Exploration/Missionary Activities; British Africa; Belgian Africa; French Africa; German Africa; South Africa; and Liberia).
Internet East Asian History Sourcebook. Edited by Paul Halsall, Fordham University.
Use table of contents to identify areas of interest such as Imperial China and The Western Intrusion (divided by General; European Imperialism; British East Asia; Other Powers; United States Imperialism; and Missionary Activity).
Internet Modern History Sourcebook. Edited by Paul Halsall. Fordham University.
Primary source material can be found here (text modifications, if any, are noted). This section of the sourcebook contains primary sources on imperialism. See entries on the site such as John Hobson: Imperialism, 1902. There are also entire pages devoted to Imperialism and Nationalism. See also Latin America.
Images of Colonialism. Widener Library. Harvard College Library.
"Constituting a visual record of early European contacts with Asia and Africa . . . is a primary visual resource. . . . Made up largely of late-19th and early-20th century trade cards and illustrated European newspapers, this collection of more than 700 images . . . document[es] how popular perceptions of Asia and Africa were created and disseminated. The collection can also be used to draw contrasts between colonial attitudes among the French, British, German, and Dutch colonizers and the realities in the colonies."
The National Archives. United Kingdom. Image library.
Contains images of the British Empire, including Empire Marketing Board posters:
The Manila Galleon Trade (1565–1815). Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History, Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Contains images of works of art influence by the Manila Galleon trade. Brief thematic essays provide background.
France--Colonies. Internet Archive. Online documents (32 as of October 2009).
While there are items in English, there are a number in French and other languages. PDF, online, and other reading options. See also: Colonies--Africa. General on Colonialism and Its Legacies
The British Empire: An Internet Gateway. Edited by Jane Samson, University of Alberta.
Link above goes to Links to Other Sites section of the page. Links are arranged by: 1. Resources and Gateways 2. General Sites 3. Maps and Images 4. Miscellaneous Sites of Interest 5. Africa (and Slavery and Antislavery) 6. Middle East 7. South Asia 8. Southeast Asia 9. Canada 10. Colonial USA 11. West Indies 12. South Pacific and 13. The British Empire Today.
Institute of Historical Research. United Kingdom. Archived. No longer being updated.
Contains extensive annotated links to sites about European colonialism in Africa, Asia, and Oceania. Focus is on British activies. Africa and Africa/France
African Countries: Online Resources . African Studies Center. University of Pennsylvania.
Annotated links to selected sources (just under ten) on the Web.
African Online Digital Library. Michigan State University.
A " portal to multimedia collections about Africa." For example, Exploring Africa, which includes Unit Two: Studying Africa through the Social Studies. Module 7B: African History, the Era of Global Encroachment. Exploring Africa. Students. This page is an activity that explores colonialism in Africa. (Links to additional modules near the top.) Map of African languages. Scroll down to read sections on Colonial Conquest in Africa and other topics.
FC122: European Imperial Expansion in Africa (c.1870-1914). Copyright © 2007 Chris Butler. University High School. Urbana, Illinois. Overview. "Flow of History."
The French Military in Africa. Andrew Hansen. Council on Foreign Relations.
Overview of the topic. Section 5 is What is the history of French intervention in Africa?
Historical Maps of Africa. Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection. University of Texas Libraries. The University of Texas at Austin. Maps from 1808 onwards.
Riots in France. Social Science Research Council.
A series of articles on civil unrest in the French suburbs in 2005.
The Story of Africa. BBC.
"The Story of Africa tells the history of the continent from an African perspective. . . . Africa's top historians take a fresh look at the events and characters that have shaped the continent from the origins of humankind to the end of South African apartheid.. . . See the rise and fall of empires and kingdoms, experience the power of religion, the injustices of slavery, and chart the expansion of trade between Africa and other continents. . . . Hear what it was like to live under colonialism, follow the struggle against it, and celebrate the achievement of independence." Sections include Africa & Europe (1800-1914).
Unit Two: Studying Africa through the Social Studies. Modules 6, 7A, 7B: African History, the Era of Global Encroachment.
Exploring Africa & other Modules. Students. African Studies Center. Michigan State University. Page is an activity that explores colonialism in Africa. (Links to additional modules near the top.) Map of African languages. Scroll down to read sections on Colonial Conquest in Africa and other topics.
The Age of Imperialism. An On-line History of the United States. Small Planet Communications.
Overview of U.S. expansionism of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Anticolonialism, Latin America. Marc Becker. New Dictionary of the History of Ideas.
Encyclopedia entry section on Latin America and its experiences and reactions to colonialism. Bibliography.
Documents Relating to American Foreign Policy 1898-1914. Vincent Ferraro. Mount Holyoke College.
Not all links active or accurate, but those that are useful.
Empire Beyond the Seas. Richard A. Silocka. © 2009 by the Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute.
Curriculum unit with Introduction; Overseas Expansion; The New Imperialism; The Spanish-American War; The Course of Imperialism; Generalizations; Unit Outline; Resources; Sample Activities for Students; and Imperialism.
The Gilded Age. Alexander Street Press. CSU affiliates only.
The Gilded Age covers topics that include "[i]mmigration and migration, racism and civil rights, labor and industry, women and universal suffrage, American Indians, and the environment." The collection contains "40,000 pages of full text, photographs, songs for listening online, and other primary materials, along with video interviews and twenty-five critical documentary essays. Each documentary essay poses an interpretive question and then illuminates it with dozens of annotated primary documents, introductions, and essays." Items in this database range from primary sources that were created in 1865 to contemporary (as in 2007) scholarship.
Monroe Doctrine. Primary Documents in American History. Library of Congress.
Primary and secondary documents regarding this far-reaching policy made in 1823.
Monroe Doctrine, 1823. U.S. Department of State. Archive site.
Overview of the Monroe Doctrine and its influence on U.S. policies.
Neighbors and Markets: the United States in Latin America and Aisa, 1890-1917. W. Taylor Fain. Miller Center of Public Affairs. Virginia Center for Digital History.
Contextual essay for study materials. Bibliography of secondary sources. Aimed at 11th grade history teachers, but should be of interest to anyone doing research on this topic.
Religion, Security and the Future of Latin America. April 6, 2006. Event Transcript. Howard Wiarda introduced by Johnnie Carson.
The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life. Religion and its influence on policies of Latin America today.
United States and Brazil: Expanding Frontiers, Comparing Cultures. Brasil e Estados Unidos: Expandindo Fronteiras, Comparando Culturas. The Library of Congress.
This site "explores the history of Brazil, interactions between Brazil and the United States from the eighteenth century to the present, and the parallels and contrasts between Brazilian and American culture and history. The project is a collaboration between the Library of Congress and the National Library of Brazil."
The United States and Its Territories: 1870-1925: The Age of Imperialism. Southeast Asia Collection. University of Michigan Library.
"The primary focus of the material is the Spanish-American war and subsequent American governance (approximately 1898-1910)." Documents are from the United States, Spain, and the Philippines.
The United States and Latin America: Interactions of Empire and Globalization. Spring 2008. Steven Volk. Oberlin College.
Course syllabus with detailed background of the topic, recommended readings, and assignments. Check the library catalog and FindIt@CSU for local holdings of books and articles listed.
The World of 1898: The Spanish-American War. Hispanic Division. Library of Congress.
Presentations on Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico, and Spain. Britain/Africa/Egypt/Sudan/South Africa
The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium, 1899-1955. Sudan. Country Studies. Library of Congress.
Analysis of agreement made in 1899.
The British Empire. Stephen Luscombe. Britain.
Author up front that "not a rigorous academic site." However, much material of interest. Names, places, events, etc. can be learned about here and explored in detail in scholarly sources elsewhere (i.e. in Indexes). One example, Egypt 1882 covers events of 1882. Sidebars have links to additional topics/readings (check Sage/Discovery for local ownership).
Search the Web site and find online images and Web pages that cover the British empire. Example terms to search are: colonialism, slaves, slavery, plantations, independence movement, nationalism, and imperialism.
Colonialism. Voice of the Shuttle.
Links to primary and secondary sources. British colonialim in Africa and India.
Timelines, people, places, arts & culture, politics & governance, and more.
Timeline Sudan: A Chronology of Key Events. BBC News Online 24 May 2001. Hartford Web Publishing. 1881-2001. Japan
Japan's Quest for Empire 1931 - 1945. Susan Townsend. World War Two. BBC.
Pages cover: 1. Unleashing force 2. Chasing power 3. Seaborne empire 4. Deadlock 5. Political crises 6. Deterrent diplomacy: Germany 7. Deterrent diplomacy: Russia and US 8. Awakening the sleeping giant.
Spain see also America/Latin America above.
"Latin American Bicentennial Puts Spain in Quandary." Sinikka Tarvainen. Monsters & Critics: Europe. Sept. 11, 2009.
Article discussing anniversary celebration of independence from Spain. An ad may display that cannot be shut down, but must finish (day visited 10-15 seconds).
Latin American Independence: The Rodney Dangerfield of World Historical Events? John Chasteen. History News Network. March 10, 2008.
Discussion of the bicentennial anniversaries of Latin American countries. "The year 1810 marked the beginning of Latin America’s struggles for national independence, rather than their culmination." Timelines
The African Slave Trade and European Imperialism, 15th-early 19th Centuries. Copyright © 1997 - 2007, Cora Agatucci. Central Oregon Community College.
Anti-Colonialism & Reconstruction 19th to Mid-20th Centuries. Copyright © 1997 - 2007, Cora Agatucci. Central Oregon Community College.
Interactive timeline of the British Empire. BBC. No longer updated.
Post-Independence Africa & Contemporary Trends Mid- to Late 20th Century. Copyright © 1997 - 2007, Cora Agatucci. Central Oregon Community College
South African Timeline. BBC World Service. Online Books & More
Gallica. Bibliothèque nationale de France. Digital Library.
Search "Afrique" and find maps, many available online (some on site, some off site). Add "colonialisme" or "impérialisme" to narrow your search. Extensive! Items will frequently be in French, but there are items in English.
Not all titles are full text online; check the library catalog for local or regional holdings. If a title is full text, from the full record page for a book, on the right-hand side, click on View to read the book page by page; Details for bibliographic information and additional viewing options formats; and Download for PDF version.
Topic cover the areas of the rest of this Web page--Asia, Africa, Latin America, etc. Some of these may only be accessible to CSU affiliates.
- "Colonial and Post-Colonial Latin America." David Sheinin. African Studies Quarterly 7.2&3 (2003).
- "Colonialism and Development: A Comparative Analysis of Spanish and British Colonies." Matthew Lange, James Mahoney, and Matthias vom Hau..
- "Conflict and Connection: Rethinking Colonial African History," Frederick Cooper. The American Historical Review 99(5), December 1994, 1516-1545.
- "Explanations of Japan’s Imperialistic Expansion, 1894-1910." Bill Gordon. December 2003.
- "From Colonization to Globalization: Difference or Repetition?" Martial Frindethie. PDF.
- "History and Africa /Africa and History." Joseph C. Miller. Presidential Address. American Historical Association. Washington, DC. 8 January 1999.
- Myth and Fact in Northeast Asia’s History Textbook Controversies. Mikyoung Kim. The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus.
- "The Myth of Neo-colonialism." Tunde Obadina. December 8, 2015.
- Images and Empires: Visuality in Colonial and Postcolonial Africa. GN645 .I43 2002 Morgan
- The United States and Japan: Advancing Toward a Mature Partnership. INSS Special Report. October 11, 2000.
- Writing Another Continent’s History: The British and Pre-colonial Africa, 1880-1939. Christopher Prior. Historical Perspectives. PDF