Post 1960's America Introduction
This page provides links to materials that can be used for doing research on post 1960s America. It is not comprehensive. Much useful material for history is found in books. Additional resources (articles, etc.) are identified in the bibliographies of these books. Track these resources down for thorough research. See "identifying books" for subject terms used in library catalogs for materials on this topic. That said, there is a growing amount of useful research material, including primary resources, on the Web and through proprietary (a library purchases them) databases. Items listed start with the 1960s, so that researchers can look back to that decade and see if it has had a long-term influence or not.
- United States of America (History) for links to Summaries, Artifacts & Documents that relate to American history in general.
- Beat Writers for information about the writers and the movement.
- Environmental History for resources on the environment.
- Films/Movies for information on films owned by CSU and how to find criticism and reviews of them.
- Music for information on finding books and articles to do with music.
- Sport and American Society for information on sports in America.
Reference books on Post 1960s Ammerica
- The 1990s. E885 .S38 2006 Reference
- American Chronicle. E169.1 .G664 1999 Reference
- American Decades Primary Sources. Online to CSU affiliates via Gale Virtual Reference Library< >Vol. 7 1960-1969; Vol. 8 1970-1979; Vol. 9 1980-1989; Vol. 10 1990-1999
- The Arts, Business and the Economy, Education, Fashion and Design, Government and Politics, Law and Justice, Lifestyles and Social Trends, The Media, Medicine and Health, Religion, Science and Technology, Sports
- American Popular Music. 6 vols. ML 3477 .A385 2006 Reference
- Civil Rights in the United States. 2 vols. E184 .A1 C47 Reference
- The Cold War. 2 vols. D843 .C57724 2001 Reference
- The Cold War. 3 vols. D839.5 .C65 1992 Reference
- Cold War America 1946 to 1990. E 741 .G75 2003 Reference
- Day by Day: The Eighties. 2 vols. D848 .M45 1995 Reference
- Day by Day: The Nineties. 2 vols. D856 .A93 2004 Reference
- Day by Day: The Seventies. 2 vols. D848 .L4 1988 Reference
- Day by Day: The Sixties. 2 vols. D840 .P27 1983 Reference
- The Eighties in America. 3 vols. E876 .E347 2000 Reference also online to CSU affiliates
- The Encyclopedia of Civil Rights in America. 3 vols. E185.61 .E544 Reference
- Encyclopedia of Cold War Politics. E840 T57 2000 Reference
- Encyclopedia of Politics, the Media, and Popular Culture. P95.82.U6 C62 2009 Reference
- The Encyclopedia of Popular Music. 10 vols. ML102 .P66 G84 2006 Reference
- Encyclopedia of the Cold War. D843 .A668 1994 Reference
- Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War. DS557.7 .E53 1996 Reference
- Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History. 3 vols. DS557.7 .E53 1998 Reference also online to CSU affiliates
- Gale Virtual Reference Library. Online to CSU affiliates
- The Greenwood Guide to American Popular Culture. 4 vols. E 169.1 .G7555 2002 Reference
- Handbook of American Popular Culture. 3 vols. E169.1 .H2643 1989 Reference
- History in Dispute, Vol. 6: The Cold War: Second Series. via Gale Virtual Reference Library
- History in Dispute, Vol. 19: The Red Scare After 1945. via Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Milestone Documents in American History 1956-2003. Vol. 4 E173 .M36 2008 Reference
- Oxford Music Online. Online to CSU affiliates only.
- Race Relations in America: A Reference Guide with Primary Documents. E184 .A1 D283 2006 Reference
- Racial and Ethnic Relations in America. 3 vols. E49 .R33 2000 Reference
- The Seventies in America. 3 vols. E169.12 .S447 2006 Reference also online to CSU affiliates
- The Sixties in America. 3 vols. E841 .S55 1999 Reference also online to CSU affiliates
- The Sixties in America Reference Library. 4 vols. via Gale Virtual Reference Library
- St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. 5 vols. E169.1 .S764 2000 Reference also online to CSU affiliates in Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Vietnam War Reference Library. 5 vols. via Gale Virtual Reference Library
- War in the Persian Gulf Reference Library. 4 vols. via Gale Virtual Reference Library
Do a Subject search for these terms in the library catalog (and Prospector). Note the divisions by years and major events. Social conditions are an important part of any historical research. After doing a search for the terms, also look at their subdivisions:
* primary sources; “sources” at the end of a subject term means that the item includes primary sources
Personal Accounts of Events (Primary Sources)
Personal accounts (primary sources) of events can be identified with the subdivision "Personal Narratives." Some of these are diaries or other forms of journals. Some are memoirs. There are more titles in Prospector, so be sure to check there. For example:
- Afghan War 2001 Personal Narratives American
- Iraq War 2003 Personal Narratives
- Iraq War 2003 Personal Narratives American
- Persian Gulf War 1991 Personal Narratives
- Persian Gulf War 1991 Personal Narratives American
- Vietnam War 1961 1975 Personal Narratives
- Vietnam War 1961 1975 Personal Narratives American
- War On Terrorism 2001 2009 Personal Narratives
- War On Terrorism 2001 2009 Personal Narratives American
Indexes and Abstracts
Indexes, abstracts & other Databases of interest
Identify articles by topic in these sources (these indexes are Step 1 of how to find articles). Some indexes have citations only and others have full text materials. Databases can be found on A-Z Databases page. Use to see if there is an electronic version of journal articles not full text within a specific database. If an item looks to be particularly valuable, but is not locally available, request it from InterLibrary Loan.
Academic Search Premier. Varies.
General database with information on a wide range of topics. Nearly all or all topics will find some useful citations here.
America, History & Life. 1954- . 1964- online via "A-Z Databases." Only six CSU users at a time.
America: History & Life is a useful index for identifying articles and books to do with U.S. history.
AUL Index to Military Periodicals. 1988 to present.
Covers contemporary military topics.
Congressional Publications CSU affiliates only. Find full text of hearings & citations to other materials.
Limit to years/dates or Congress of interest. Four hearings mention "slavery" between 1856-1867; the serial set mentionings are found full text in the U.S. Congressional Serial Set; CSU affiliates only). Has information on U.S. and state government laws, codes, and statues. Find publications, bills, laws, regulations, members, committees, etc. Links to all kinds of governmental information.
Historical Abstracts. 1954- . Only six CSU users at a time.
History of Asia, Europe, Africa, Oceania after 1500. Subject term for United States is: USA.
Historical Statistics of the United States. 1790 to present.
"The standard source for the quantitative facts of American history." Find data for Population; Work and Welfare; Economic Structure and Performance; Economic Sectors; and Governance and International Relations. Allows for sophisticated gathering of information: downloadable, including to tables in Excel, and create custom tables, among other possibilities.
Humanities Index. 1974-March 1999. AI 3 .I495 Reference South
Abstracting for core journals in the humanities, including many history titles.
JSTOR. Articles at least 3-5 years old. CSU affiliates only.
Full text articles from broad range of subject areas, including history. Search for words in title, author, abstract, or full text. Be certain to select area(s) of journals to complete a search. (E.g. History, African-American Studies.)
Music Index.1978- .
"Cover-to-cover indexing and abstracts of articles about music, musicians, and the music industry for more than 475 periodicals, as well as book reviews, obituaries, news, and selective coverage for more than 230 periodicals."
Naxos Music Library.
An "online classical music library. Currently, it offers streaming access to more than 46,000 CDs with more than 653,000 tracks, standard and rare repertoire. Over 800 new CDs are added to the library every month." "The contents can be searched by composer, work, genre and label; by keyword search and by a sophisticated advanced search engine with up to 10 combined search criteria. In addition to allowing subscribers to listen to recordings, NML provides liner notes for most recordings."
New York Times Historical 1851- (Up to near recent month available in New York Times ProQuest Microfilm.)
Newspaper of record. See full text. Some articles not found on online version due to copyright restrictions. See microfilm for the complete NYT.
Newspaper Source. 1985 to present.
Covers 389 regional newspapers with selective full text. 40 full-text U.S. and international newspapers.
Project MUSE. Various starting dates. CSU affiliates only.
Full text articles from the humanities and social sciences, including over forty history journals.
Social Science Abstracts. 1983- . Only four CSU users at a time.
Covers social sciences research--history is included, but also find political science and many other categories. 620 journals are included.
U.S. Congressional Serial Set. 1817-1994. CSU affiliates only.
Full text of U.S. Congress (House and Senate) activity. Example topics: Civil Rights Act (1866); Civil Rights Act of 1957; Civil Rights Act of 1960; Civil Rights Act of 1964; Civil Rights Act of 1968; Civil Rights Act of 1991; Civil rights movements; Post-traumatic stress disorder; Mental illness; Motion pictures.
Wall Street Journal (Eastern Edition)- 1984 to present.
Business newspaper out of New York.
Check the library catalog for local holdings of books; check Prospector for those not owned. Use to see if there is an electronic version of journal articles. If an item looks to be particularly valuable, but is not locally or regionally available, request it from InterLibrary Loan. At least one bibliography links out to material of interest.
- The 1960s: A Bibliography. Rebecca Jackson. Iowa State University Library.
- Web Sites. Music 1030, Survey of Rock and Roll. Nancy Conner. Library Course Web Sites. © 1996-2006 Cuyahoga Community College.
Links to Primary Sources
Do visit Summaries, Artifacts & Documents, mentioned near the very top of this page for links to items that relate to American history in general; scroll through to find sites that related to this time period.
Sixties Project: Primary Document Archive. © 2005 Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities.
Identifies some key documents. In a number of cases, then links to a copy of the full text of the source.
Primary Source Documents. The 1960s--Social Unrest and Counterculture. HistoryTeacher.net.
Links to sources. Not all links are active. A very few sources date from before and after the 1960s, but they are applicable.
The Grape Strike. Part I, Primary Sources. The Union of their dreams.
Tracks the Delano grape strike of September 1965-July 1970. Links to PDF copies of documents: "letters, memos, stories, transcripts and notes written at the time."
Modern Social Movements. Internet Modern History Sourcebook.
Links out to various projects. Topics covered are: Feminism (Origins of Third Wave; Cultural Feminism; Political Feminism; Liberal Feminism; Radical Feminism); Black Power (The US Civil Rights Movement, Radicals; Since 1968); Other Ethnic/Minority Movements; and Lesbian and Gay Rights.
Pop Culture. Internet Modern History Sourcebook.
Links out to various projects and includes links to sports topics.
Overview & More (may include links to primary sources)
The Sixties. University of Miami.
Web site with links to multiple resources.
U.S. Government (direct and indirect links)
- Supreme Court.
- U.S. House of Representatives.
- U.S. Senate.
- White House.
- Federal Government Resources. CSU Libraries.
- Government Sources. ( current issues research) CSU Libraries.
It is essential that you carefully evaluate whatever you might find, no matter the format. See: How to Evaluate Journal Articles, How to Evaluate Books, How to Evaluate a Web Page, and How to Evaluate a Movie, Video, or Film Clip.