- Academic Search Premier* Multi-disciplinary, scholarly database. Includes full text for 4500+ titles, 3600+ of which are peer-reviewed journals.
- America: History and Life* Provides historical coverage of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present.
- AnthroSource* Provides access to research and communications tools in anthropological scholarship.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete* Covers mass media. Indexes research journals, major journalism reviews, recent encylopedias, and handbooks in the area of communcation studies.
- Ethnic News Watch A current resource of full-text newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority press.
- Family & Society Studies Worldwide* Indexes a variety of print and internet-based resources relevant to family studies from a variety of social science disciplines.
- Historical Abstracts* Covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present.
- JSTOR Digital archive back issues of scholarly journals in multiple disciplines. Many titles not available for the most recent five years. Tutorials.
- HeineOnline Coverage includes full-text documents from law periodicals, case law, federal and state law, foreign and international law, and various special collections.. Other domestic and international news and newspaper resources.
- MLA International Bibliography* Index of international journal articles, books and dissertations on literature; language and linguistics; folklore; literary theory & criticism; dramatic arts; historical aspects of printing.
- Project Muse Full-text online access to journals published by the Johns Hopkins University Press and other scholarly publishers. Includes literature, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, economics, Women's Studies, Gender and Sexuality and many others.
- PsycINFO* Citations and summaries in the field of psychology and the psychological aspects of related disciplines published in peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports. Resource guides for Feminism (video) and Sexuality & Gender Identity; a more general Quick Reference guide and short video tutorials on various database features.
- Social Sciences Abstracts* Covering the latest concepts, theories and methods from both applied and theoretical aspects of the social sciences, this resource provides indexing and abstracts for a wide assortment of the most important English-language social science journals.
- Sociological Abstracts* Indexes and abstracts the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences.
- Women Writers Online Contains full-text of more than 100 texts by English and American women published between 1500 and 1850, and introductory essays written by contemporary scholars.
*These and many other subject-specific EBSCOhost databases can be searched simultaneously by selecting Choose Databases at the upper left-corner of each of their respective search screens.
Off Campus Journal Access
Ethnic Studies (North American) journals owned by CSU
- A. Magazine. E184.O6 A17ej 1990-2002 available online to CSU affiliates.
- American Indian Quarterly. E75 .A547 & E75 .A547ej 1974/1975-1994,1996-2001 in Movable Shelves; 1974- availableonline to CSU affiliates.
- Amerasia Journal. E184.O6 A64 1986/87, 1991- Journal Room (current) & Movable Shelves
- Aztlan: A Journal of Chicano Studies. E184.M5 A9 & E184.M5 A9ej 1970-1975,1977-1979,1982-1985,1988-1991,1998- Journal Room (current), Movable Shelves, and Storage. Also available online (1970- ) to CSU affiliates.
- Cultural Values. BJ1545 .C85ej online to CSU affiliates 1998-2002.
- Ethnic and Racial Studies. HT1501 .E73ej 1998- online to CSU affiliates.
- The Ethnic Reporter. E184.A1 N8 & E184.A1 N8ej 1989- Journal Room (current), Storage, and online (2005- ) to CSU affiliates.
- Ethnic Studies Review. E184.A1 E963 1996- Journal Room (current) and Movable Shelves.
- The Journal of African American History. E185 .J86 & E185 .J86ej Journal Room (current) and online to CSU affiliates (2002- ).
- Journal of American Ethnic History. E184.A1 J59 & E184.A1 J59ej 1981/1982-2004/2005 Movable Shelves and 1981-online to CSU affiliates.
- Journal of Asian American Studies. E184.O6 J68ej 1998- available online to CSU affiliates.
- Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. HT1501 .J68ej 1998- online to CSU affiliates.
- The Journal of Negro History (previous title for The Journal of African American History). E185 .J86 Online 1916-2001. Scattered volumes available in Movable Shelves (1962-1997); 1916-1961 on Microfilm.
- MELUS. PN843 .M18 1976- Journal Room (current), 1976-2000 Movable Shelves, and online (1974- ) to CSU affiliates.
- Multicultural Perspectives. 1999- (minus current year) available online to CSU affiliates.
- North American Archaeologist. 1980- available online to CSU affiliates.
- Studies in American Indian Literatures. PS153.I52 A76 & PS153.I52 A76ej 1992-2007 Movable Shelves and online (2004- ) to CSU affiliates.
- Wicazo Sa Review. E96 .W53 & E96 .W53ej 1994-2003 Movable Shelves and online to CSU affiliates (1985- ).
- Yolk. E184.O6 Y65ej 1994-2003 available online to CSU affiliates.
Basic principles for constructing effective search statements
Core principles for creating efficient search statements that are applicable in virtually any database.
|Each result contains all search terms.||Each result contains at least one search term.||Results do not contain the specified terms.|
|The search heart and lung finds items that contain both heart andlung.||The search heart or lung finds items that contain either heart or items that containlung.||The search heart not lung finds items that contain heart but do not containlung.
- Wildcard (#): The “#” replaces any extra characters that may appear in alternative spellings. For example, “colo#r” finds both color and colour.
- Wildcard (?): The “?” replaces one character, for example “ne?t” finds neat, nest, or next, but will not find net.
- Truncation (*): The “*” replaces any number of characters and will find all forms of a word root, for example, “therap*” finds therapy, therapies, therapist, therapists, therapeutic, therapeutically, etc.
Ask Me About:
- Finding articles, books, & more
- Citing sources
- Purchasing books & more
- Information literacy instruction
Or, schedule a virtual consultation