How to Do Library Research
Newspapers Indexed & Owned by CSU
Newspapers are updated daily, so they have very current information. CSU receives: Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times (LAT), New York Times (NYT), Wall Street Journal (WSJ), Washington Post, London Times. (Some titles have a day or two delay in reaching CSU.)
For very current topics, browse through recent issues. Breaking news will be on Web sites. (See also Late Breaking News for additional links.)
Web sites will have headline news, although some of the sites have leisure, entertainment, classified, job openings, and other sections available.
- Denver Post. CSU owns 1894- . Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm. AN .D4 MICROTEXT FILM
Index for major issues covers 1963-1978; a commercial index covers 1979- . Local and regional news. Some coverage of national news.
- Rocky Mountain News. On microfilm: 1859-1947 and 1996-Feb. 27, 2009. Ceased. AN .R6 MICROTEXT FILM
Local and regional news. Some coverage of national news.
- Christian Science Monitor. CSU owns 1965-1999. AN .C5 MICROTEXT FILM
Reports news of national and international importance. Concentrates on a few stories only, but does a thorough job of them.
- Los Angeles Times. CSU has current two weeks only in Newspaper area.
Regional coverage. Popular culture, prominent coverage of social and cultural news. Liberal tone editorial page.
- New York Times. 1851- . Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm. AN 1 .N4 MICROTEXT FILM. Older issues online in New York Times 1851- (some items not included).
High-quality journalism and commentary. Reports on travel, art, leisure, technology, advertising, patents, business. NYT Book Review on Sunday (also has book reviews throughout week). Liberal tone editorial page. Frequently referred to as the "paper of record" because its news stories are often accompanied by the text of speeches and official documents (hence, historical information).
- Wall Street Journal. CSU owns 1957- . Last 5 days on Reserve. Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm . HG 1 .W2 MICROTEXT FILM (You must register to access this web site; fee to access.) CSU affiliates may find 2008 to most recent month in microfilm edition online.
Full text of articles are online via Wall Street Journal database 1984- . Access to some free-lance articles and photographs may not be available. Financial and business information in national and international news. Covers politics and government. Conservative tone editorial page. (CSU: Western Edition on paper, Eastern Edition is indexed and on CSU's microfilm.)
- Washington Post. CSU owns 1982- . Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm. AN .W33 MICROTEXT FILM
Authoritative coverage of federal government and national politics. Opinion page and Sunday "Outlook" excellent and influential. Covers international affairs, good business, rivals NYT in foreign affairs. Liberal tone editorial page.
- (London) Times. 1788- . Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm. AN .T5 STORAGE MICROTEXT FILM. (You must register to access web site; currently no charge.) CSU affiliates may find earlier years in Times Digital Archive 1785-2008.
Print index call number AI 21 .T46; located in Print Indexes Newspaper (basement). Britain's most prestigious newspaper. Conservative bent in editorials. Excellent coverage of European and international news.
- Rocky Mountain Collegian Online.
Colorado State University's student newspaper. Full text available from early 1998 to the present. (Scattered coverage for earlier years.)
- Fort Collins Coloradoan. CSU owns 1988- . Current issues in print (Newspaper area), older issues on microfilm. AN .F64 MICROTEXT FILM
Local newspaper. Limited information online. Search online archive from roughly the past ten years to the present (gives date of article and first few lines only; no section or page number; provides option to purchase online; requires setting up an account); last 7 days only has free access to articles.
Newspaper Source. 1985-. Selective coverage for 240+ newspapers, newswires, and other sources.
United States Newspapers (w3newspapers) is a directory of "most popular newspapers" arranged by state, federal district (i.e. Washington D.C.), and territories, as well as a few other categories. Frequent pop up/pop behind advertisements. Colorado.
Colorado State University
1019 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1019