How to Do Library Research
This set of pages has information on how to do library research. In all cases, once you have located sources, be sure to evaluate them, using the evaluation guides.
International, General and Specific
The items listed below are biographical directories found in Morgan Library Reference and Morgan Stacks.
- Contemporary Black Biography: Profiles from the International Black Community. 42 vols. Detroit: Gale, 1992- . E 185.96 .C66 Morgan
- Current Biography Yearbook. New York: Wilson, 1940- . CT 100 .C8 REF Has photograph and address.
- Dictionary of International Biography. Cambridge, England: International Biographical Centre. CSU owns 1967, 1971- . Latest in REF. CT 101 .D5 REF
- Dictionary of World Biography. 10 vols. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 1998. CT 104 .D54 1998 REF
- Historic World Leaders. Detroit: Gale, 1994. D 412 .H57 1994 Morgan
- International Who's Who. London: Europa, [year]. CT 120 .I5 REF
- International Who's Who of Women. Rochester, Kent [England]: Europa, 1992. CT 3202 .I58 REF
- Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2nd ed. 17 vols. plus vols.18- supplements. Detroit: Gale, 1998- . CT 103 .E56 Morgan & available online to CSU affiliates
- New York Times Biographical Service. New York: Arno Press, 1974-2001. CT 120 .N45 Microfilm See also New York Times (1851- ).
- Who's Who in the World. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 1971/72- . CT 120 .W5 Morgan
- Dictionary of National Biography from the Earliest Times to 1900 (DNB). 22 vols. London: Oxford UP. Supplements covering 1901-1985. DA 28 .D47 Morgan
Biographical dictionary of deceased persons known in Great Britain and the colonies. A very good place to begin research on British authors and other professions. Use in conjunction with the newer edition (just below).
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography in Association with the British Academy: From the Earliest Times to the Year 2000. 61 vols. Oxford: Oxford UP. DA 28 .O95 2004 REF
Biographical dictionary of deceased persons known in Great Britain and the colonies. A very good place to begin research on British authors and other professions. Use in conjunction with the earlier edition (just above).
- Who Was Who. New York: St. Martin's. CSU owns 1897-1995. DA 28 .W65 REF
Deceased British notables.
- Who's Who. New York: St. Martin's. Annual. CSU owns 1956, 1958-2009. Latest in Reference. DA 28 .W6 REF
- American National Biography. 24 vols. + supplement. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999. CT 213 .A68 1999 REF
- Dictionary of American Biography (DAB). 22 vols. New York: Charles Scribner. Supplements through 1980.
E 176 .D56 REF
Biographical dictionary of famous deceased persons from and involving America.
- National Cyclopedia of American Biography. 63 vols. New York: White, 1898-1984. E 176 .N29 Storage
- Notable American Women: A Biographical Dictionary. 5 vols. Cambridge, MA: Belnap, 1971-2004.
CT 3260 .N57 1971 REF
- Notable Americans: What They Did, from 1620 to the Present. 4th ed. Detroit: Gale, 1988.
E 176 .N89 1988 Morgan
- POTUS (Presidents of the United States)
- Who Was Who in America: With World Notables. 16 vols. + indexes. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 1963- . E 663 .W54 REF
- Who's Who in America. Wilmette, IL: Macmillan. Annual. CSU owns 1908-1943, 1946-2006. Latest print edition in Reference.
E 663 .W54 Reference & Storage Access
- Who's Who of American Women. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 1970-2007. CT 3260 .W5 Latest in Reference; earlier in Storage Access
- Who's Who in France: Qui est Qui en France: Dictionnaire Biographique. Levallois-Perret, France: Jacques Lafitte, [year]. DC 36 .W46 REF
URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/howtodo | Print Page