CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Forestry Building, 1936-

Two-story white brick and stone building.Forestry Building, 1936

 

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

 

Architect - Eugene G. Groves

Builder – Newstrom & Davis Construction Company of Denver, Colorado and WPA (original building), Brown-Schrepferman and Company of Englewood, Colorado (1948 addition)

1001 Amy Van Dyken Way

Ground breaking ceremonies for both the Forestry Building and Johnson Hall took place on January 16, 1936.  Eugene G. Groves designed this building in an “Italian Renaissance Revival” design.  Built by the Newstrom & Davis Construction Company, it opened in the fall of 1936.  It was funded in part as a WPA project.

Forestry Professors Walter Jean Morrill and John “Jack” Vernon Knox Wagar were among the faculty members who utilized this building during its early years teaching forestry skills to a large number of students who went on be Rangers for the United State Forest Service and the National Park Service.  This building has become synonymous with forestry education at the University.  Today, the Department of Forest and Rangeland Stewardship, the Center for Protected Area Management and Training, and the Department of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources occupy this building.

In the spring of 1937, the Department of Forestry received permission to move their arboretum from along West Laurel Street to the “pasture back of the Forestry Building” bounded by the Veterinary Hospital on the north and existing campus roads on the south.   This seven-acre arboretum would be designed as a pleasant park and enjoyed by many.

An addition on west side of the original building, costing $350,000, was opened in 1948.  Eugene G. Groves created this addition using a “20th Century Institutional” design.  The Brown-Schrepferman and Company built this addition that provided badly needed space for the influx of military veterans returning from World War II. 

Sources by Gordon Hazard

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, July-August 1933, page 4, vol. 11, numbers 1-2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 13, 1935, page 6, vol. XLIV, number 26.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, August 27, 1935, pages 211-212.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 2, 1935, pages 1 and 6, vol. XLV, number 5.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 14, 1935, pages 224-225.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 25, 1935, page 232.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, November 9, 1935, pages 235- 236.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 27, 1935, page 1, vol. XLV, number 13.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, December 4, 1935, page 6, vol. XLV, number 14.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 25, 1936, page 289.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 22, 1936, page 307.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 26, 1936, pages 315 and 318.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, July 28, 1936, page 326.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, August 28, 1936, pages 335 and 339.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 11, 1936, page 2, col. 3, vol. XLVI, number 1.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, September 25, 1936, page 346.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 30, 1936, pages 351, 354-356.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, November 1936, page 4, vol. 17, number 5.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 2, 1937, page 393.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 26, 1937, page 1, col. 6, vol. XLVI, number 35.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, April 30, 1938, pages 300-301.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, November 2, 1938, page 546.

The Colorado State College Alumnus, February 1939, page 1, vol. 19, number 8.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 30, 1942, page 1, col. 2, vol. LI, number 32.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, January 18, 1946, page 59.

Fort Collins Coloradoan, April 14, 1946, page 1, col. 2, “College Gets Commission OK to Complete Laboratory”.

Colorado A&M News, October 1946, page 1, vol. 1, number 4.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 9, 1947, pages 213-214.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 14, 1947, page 230.

Fort Collins Coloradoan, June 15, 1947, page 2, col. 1, “Forestry Building Contract Awarded”.

Fort Collins Coloradoan, June 30, 1947, page 2, col. 1, “Work on Forestry Addition Started”.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 3, 1947, page 1, vol. LVII, number 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 24, 1947, page 10, col. 1, vol. LVII, number 4.

The Colorado State College Alumnus, September - October 1947, pages 2, 7-8, vol. XXVI, number 14.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, January 17, 1948, page 294.

Colorado A&M News, January 1948, page 2, vol. 2, number 7.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 12, 1948, page 335.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 7, 1950, page 7, vol. LIX, number 23.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, September 21, 1951, page 621.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, pages 13, 27, 29 and campus maps, LD1145.8, A452, 1952, Archive.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 12, 1955, page 463.

 

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 13, 1955, page 473.

CSU Collegian, November 20, 1970, page 5, vol. LXXIX, number 43.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 18, 1972, page 5, vol. LXXXI, number 27.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 6, 1975, page 15, vol. LXXXIV, number 56.

Fort Collins Journal, November 1, 1976, page 1, vol. LXXXV.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, p. 356.

CSU Comments, December 16, 1982, page 2, vol. 13, number 17.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 19, 1993, page 5, vol. 101, issue 104.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 11, 1994, 1-8a-z 1-1u-w.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 2, 1995, 1-12a-aa,1-1u-v.

 State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 2, 1998.

“Visionary Leadership, the Memoirs of William E. Morgan”, page 94, by Connie Pheiffenberger, 2005.

Colorado Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation,  https://www.historycolorado.org/architects-colorado-biographical-series.    

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page