CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Helmshire Hall/Helmshire Inn, 1998-2005

A three-story wood building painted blue. A sign reading "Helmshire Hall" is in front of it.

Helmshire Hall, 2003

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

During 1998-99, the Colorado State University Research Foundation purchased the Helmshire Inn with the intent to use this bed and breakfast (built in 1985) as a conference center and guest house for University visitors. The Colorado Commission on Higher Education later stopped this project, viewing it as unfair competition to local hotels. During 2003-04, Housing and Food Services made the building a small residence hall for graduate students. In August 2005, a private owner purchased the property from CSU, and today it functions as a hotel and restaurant (Café Vino).

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

1979 Fort Collins City Directory, Texaco Station.

1981 Fort Collins City Directory, ATC Auto-Truck Clinic at 1204.

1990 Fort Collins City Directory.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 5, 2002, page 1, vol. 110, number 107.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 4, 2004, pages 1 and 3, vol. 112, number 113.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, August 24, 2005, page 6a, vol. 114, number 12.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page