CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Alder Hall/Cooperative Units Building/Physical Education Annex/Botany Annex, 1930-

The Botany Annex, a single-storied light brick building with a flat roof and arched entryway sits on a sloping lot to the left of a large brick building with a stone foundation and two upper stories.

Botany Annex, 1931

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects - Eugene G. Groves (original), Frank Vaught, Joseph Frye and Justin Larson of Fort Collins (2012 renovation and addition)

Builders – C. E. Walker Construction Company of Denver (original), Dohn Construction Incorporated (2012 renovation and addition)

850 South Mason Street

This “Mission-style” building along with its greenhouses was built in 1930.  It mirrored the design of the neighboring South College Gym/Glenn Morris Field House complex.  Costing $24,878, it was designed by Eugene G. Groves and built by the C.E. Walker Construction Company.  Originally, it was called the “Botany Annex” until 1960 when it became the “Physical Education Annex”.  In 1966, its name was changed to the “Cooperative Units” as the building began housing offices of the Colorado Cooperative Fishery Unit and the Colorado Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit.  In 2003, the name “Alder Hall” was given to the building. 

In 2011, Architects Frank Vaught, Joseph Frye and Justin Larson of Fort Collins designed a large new addition and building renovation.  Dohn Construction Incorporated served as the general contractor for the project.  Besides expansion and modernization, the work enhanced access for people with disabilities.

The newly renovated building reopened for use in January 2012.  The final interior detail-work was completed in August 2012.   The University’s new international student recruiting and support program called “INTO Colorado State University” moved to the building. The “INTO Learning Resource Center”, “INTO Café”, and “Intensive English” are housed in Alder Hall.  They work with the “INTO Administrative Offices” located at neighboring Spruce Hall.

In December 2016, Chelsea Tan became the first INTO student to complete her course studies and graduate with a B.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology as well as a B.A. in Economics. A native of Malaysia, Tan moved to Hong Kong to seek employment.  She expressed the desire to return to the University to do graduate work in the near future.  Tan began the flow of INTO students earning undergraduate degrees from CSU that continues to this day.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, April 26, 1930, pages 575, 578.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, May 23, 1930, pages 582-583, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 4, 1930, page 61.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 11, 1930, pages 1 and 6, vol. XL, number 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 12, 1930, page 1, vol. XL, number 11.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, page s13, 25.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 23, 1953, page 2, Vol. LXII, number 15.

Summer Session Bulletins – Campus Maps 1958 through 1961.

“Colorado State University Directory 1959-1960”, page 88.

“Colorado State University Directory 1960-1961”, page 92.

“Colorado State University Directory 1966-1967”.

CSU Collegian, December 2, 1970, page 1, vol. LXXIX, number 48.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 11, 1994, 1-8a-z 1-1u-w.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 2, 1995, 1-12a-aa,1-1u-v.

Colorado State University booklet “A Great Place for Students to Live & Learn” Construction Highlights, published January 2013.

Frank Vaught, Joseph Frye, Justin Larson Vaught of Frye Larson Architects, Fort Collins, designed 2012 addition and renovation http://www.vfla.co/.   

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 9, 2016, page 4, vol. 125, number 12.

Information from Julia Innis of Facilites Management in September 2016.

http://source.colostate.edu/first-csu-pathway-student-graduates/, dated February 6, 2016, by Tamera Burns.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page