CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

TILT Building/Music Building/Library, 1928-

A light brick building with high arched windows on the second floor and rectangular windows on the first floor.

Library, 1932

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architect - Eugene G. Groves, Bryan Construction Incorporated

Builder – C. E. Walker Construction Company of Denver (original), Lang-Murphy Construction Company (1982 elevator addition), Bryan Construction Incorporated

801 Oval Drive

Designed by Eugene G. Groves, this stately building served as the third library for the school from 1928 until 1965.  Actually designed to be the “College Library”, it was built to replace the cramped and makeshift library in old Laurel Hall.  The cornerstone was set into place on August 16, 1927. Construction went on through the fall and winter.

On April 6, 1928, a small army of workers began a weeklong process that moved the 57,000 books across the Oval from the old building into the new building.  As part of the move, a history of the College Library written by Head Librarian Charlotte A. Baker was featured in the April 1928 issue of the C.A.C. Alumnus magazine.  This appears to be the first building constructed on campus with a built-in freight elevator.

The first winter in the new building was cold.  After weeks of not finding the problem, Dr. Lory came over and checked out the system.  He discovered that construction crews had failed to install small motors in the Univents to run fans to circulate the warm air.  Once this was done, the new building was quite comfortable.  One problem the building continually experienced was ground water seepage in its basement as well as taking on large amounts of flood water in 1938, 1951 and 1997.

From 1928 until the new Agriculture Building was opened in 1940, the Animal Husbandry Department used part of this building for offices.  They had been displaced by the barracks fire in 1927.  The space was quickly filled with books upon their departure.  Lack of space was a deep concern by the 1940s.  In 1948, two rooms were emptied of books to create a Reserve Book Reading Room and lounge where students could carry on conversations.  The books were moved into the newly opened Industrial Research Building for the next few years.  Later the old Bishop Trainer Building, with its dirt floor served as a storage area for hundreds of boxes of mostly unused books acquired by Mr. Daniels during his tenure.   These had to be removed in 1957 when that old military building was about to be converted to use by the Wood Science Department.  Following WWII up until 1954, typing classes were held in rooms in the library.  The loss of space as well as the movement of groups of students and the noise generated by the typewriters were a constant problem for Library staff and patrons.  The typing classes were relocated to South Hall in 1954.

The building became known as the “Music Building” when it was turned over to the Department of Music in 1965 after the library operations were moved into the new William E. Morgan Library building.  In the summer of 1968, a custom-made Casavant Fréres Organ consisting of 2096 pipes was installed in the building’s former large reading room or Great Hall.  A passenger elevator was added to the building in October 1982 as several campus buildings were being upgraded to provide better accessibility.  It served the Department of Music, Dance and Theatre until the summer of 2008 when they moved into the University Center for the Arts in the former Fort Collins High School building on Remington Street.

The building became the home to “The Institute for Learning and Teaching” (TILT)” and the “Center for Advising and Student Achievement” (CASA).  TILT is an institute within the University that promotes direct interaction among students and teachers throughout the institution.  CASA serves the office that works directly with students as they go through their initial orientation and provides advising to them during their time as students.

In 2009, the building received an extensive renovation, including restoration of the original “Reading Room” for student study and tutoring.  The Russell George Great Hall, as it became known, was created to provide space for student tutoring and a place to help students find and connect with the services they need.  The building was officially renamed the “TILT Building” in May 2009.   During the summer of 2010 the entrance of the building was remodeled and had a handicap ramp added.

In June 2015, it was announced that an “academic wing” would be built on the east side of the new stadium.  The “Center for Advising and Student Achievement” (CASA) moved into their newly constructed facilities during the summer of 2017.  In 2015 a new Master Plan was published.  It showed a large addition on the west side of the TILT Building.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 10, 1905, pages 1-5, vol. XIV, number 9.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 23, 1923, page 1, vol. XXXII, number 49.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 27, 1923, page 1, vol. XXXII, number 50.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 31, 1923, page 1, col. 5, vol. XXXII, number 65.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 27, 1925, page 1, vol. XXXIV, number 52.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, February 20, 1926 pages 371-372.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, April 24, 1926, page 381.

C.A.C. Alumnus, June 1926, pages 1 and 5, vol. 7, number 2.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 2, 1926, pages 9 and 22.

Colorado Agricultural College Bulletin, “Building Conditions at the Colorado State Institutions of Higher Learning”, series XXV, number 8, December 1926, page 30.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, March 26, 1927, page 422.

C.A.C. Alumnus, April 1927, page 4, vol. 7, number 12.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 15, 1927, page 28.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, April 23, 1927.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, May 14, 1927, page 427.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 17, 1927, pages 1 and 3, col. 7, vol. XXXVI, number 32.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, May 20-21, 1927, page 432, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

C.A.C. Alumnus, July – August 1927, pages 1 and 12, vol. 8, numbers 3 & 4.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, August 20, 1927, page 442, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, September 24, 1927, page 446, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, October 28, 1927, page 454, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, December 14, 1927, pages 1-2, vol. XXXVII, number 14.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, February 20, 1928, page 466.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, March 26, 1928, page 471.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, April 23, 1928, page 473, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

C.A.C. Alumnus, April1928, pages 1, 3 and 5, vol. 8, number 12.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, June 23, 1928, page 479.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, September 21, 1928, page 492.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 26, 1928, page 1, col. 6-7, vol. XXXVIII, number 3.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 21, 1928, page 1, vol. XXXVIII, number 11.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, January 25, 1929, page 504.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 27, 1929, page 7, vol. XXXVIII, number 26.

C.A.C. Alumnus, September 1929, page 4, vol. 10, number 5.

Colorado Agricultural College Bulletin, series XXVIII, February 1930, number 9, “For the Modern Girl”, page 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 4, 1931, page 1, vol. XL, number 25.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 4, 1933, page 1, vol. XLII, number 16.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 25, 1933, page 4, vol. XLII, number 19.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, August 4, 1933, page 124.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 9, 1938, page 1, vol. XLVIII, number 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 27, 1938, page 1, col. 5, vol. XLVIII, number 8.

The Colorado State College Alumnus, November 1938, page 1, vol. 19, number 5.

The Colorado State College Alumnus, January 1940, page 6, vol. 20, number 3.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 18, 1940, page 1, vol. XLIX, number 17.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 24, 1941, page 5, col. 1, vol. L, number 31.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 1, 1941, page 1, col. 4, vol. L, number 32.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 29, 1942, page 3, col. 4, vol. LI, number 19.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 19, 1942, page 1, col. 7, vol. LI, number 22.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 25, 1942, page 4, col. 3, vol. LII, number 12.

“The History of the Library of Colorado State College 1879-1943”, by Laura I. Makepeace, page 14.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 9, 1943, page 1, col. 5, vol. LIII, number 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 21, 1943, page 3, col. 3, vol. LIII, number 8.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 19, 1944, page 1, col. 2, vol. LIV, number 7.

The Colorado State College Alumnus, May-June 1947, page 9, vol. XXVI, number 12.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, December 10, 1948, page 7, vol. LVIII, number 11.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 29, 1950, page 13, vol. LX, number 2.

Colorado A&M News, August 1951, page 2, vol. 6, number 2.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, pages 13, 24, 41.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September – October 1953, page 2, vol. 30, number 2.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 22, 1956, page 49.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 3, 1958, page 1, col. 4-5, vol. LXVII, number 3.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 17, 1958, page 3, col. 4-5, vol. LXVII, number 7.

Colorado State University Collegian, February 13, 1959, page 2, vol. LXVII, number 29.

Colorado State University Collegian, November 10, 1959, page 4, vol. LXVIII, number 15.

Colorado State University Collegian, May 5, 1960, page 5, vol. LXVIII, number 50.

Colorado State University Collegian, October 13, 1960, page 1, vol. LXIX, number 12.

Colorado State University Collegian, November 16, 1960, page 1, vol. LXIX, number 31.

Colorado State University Collegian, December 1, 1960, page 1, vol. LXIX, number 37.

Colorado State University Collegian, January 25, 1961, page 1, col. 3, vol. LXIX, number 54.

Colorado State University Collegian, April 6, 1961, page 1, vol. LXIX, number 87.

Colorado State University Collegian, October 24, 1961, page 4, vol. LXX, number 18.

Colorado State University Collegian, April 20, 1962 page 1, col. 4, vol. LXX, number 95.

Colorado State University Collegian, October 31, 1962, page 1, vol. LXXI, number 23.

Colorado State University Collegian, February 14, 1963, page 1, vol. LXXI, number 65.

Colorado State University Collegian, February 15, 1963, page 2, vol. LXXI, number 66.

The CSU Alumnus, November - December 1966, page 14, vol. 42, number 5.

CSU Collegian, April 26, 1968, page 1, vol. LXXVI, number 100.

CSU Collegian, August 1, 1968, page 3, vol. LXXVI, number 127.

The CSU Alumnus, September – October 1968, pages 1-4, vol. 44, number 4.

CSU Collegian, October 7, 1968, page 5, LXXVII, number 10.

CSU Collegian, July 1, 1970, page 3, vol. LXXVIII, number 146.

CSU Collegian, November 12, 1970, page 4, vol. LXXIX, number 37.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 6, 1972, page 5, vol. LXXXI, number 19.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 30, 1972, pages 1 and 3, vol. LXXXI, number 35.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 1, 1972, pages 6 and 7, vol. LXXXI, number 37.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Fort Collins Journal, October 26, 1977, page 13, vol. LXXXVI, number 56.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, pp. 202, 233, 343, 405-406, 423.

CSU Comments, April 27, 1978, page 1, vol. 8, number 33.

Fort Collins Journal, December 15, 1978, page 10, vol. LXXXVII, number 84.

The Collegian, April 21, 1982, pages 12 and 13, vol. XC, number 120.

Colorado State University Alumni Association Alumnus, June 1982, page 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 7, 1982, page 7, vol. XCI, number 41.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 8, 1984, page 10, vol. XCII, number 98.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 2, 1984, page 1, vol. 93, number 46.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 28, 1985, page 1, vol. 93, number 101.

State Board of Agriculture Land: Chuck Terrell Interview, June 1986, page 14.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 21, 1988, page 9, vol. 97, number 39.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, December 2, 1988, pages 10 and 11, vol. 97, number 88.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, Mail-out Issue, July 1989, pages 16 and 17, vol. 98, number 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, Summer 1990, June 1990, pages 8 and 9, vol. 98, number 160.

Comment, October 25, 1990, page 7, vol. 21, number 8.

Colorado State University Alumnus, July – August, 1993, page 5.

Comment, September 9, 1993, page 1, vol. 24, number 3.

Ram Page, November 1993, page 1, vol. 12, number 4.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 11, 1994, 1-8a-z 1-1u-w.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 10, 1995, page 3, vol. 103, issue 128.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 2, 1995, 1-12a-aa,1-1u-v.

Agricultural Frontier to Electronic Frontier – A History of Colorado State University Libraries 1870-1994, page 87, by Douglas J. Ernest, published 1996.

 Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 15, 1996, page 1, vol. 104, issue 101.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 26, 1996, page 1, vol. 105, issue 31.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, August 22, 1997, page 6, vol. 106, issue 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, August 25, 1997, page 14, vol. 106, issue 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 2, 1997, page 3, vol. 106, issue 6.

Comment, April 27, 2000, pages 1, 3, vol. 30, number 29.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 14, 2000, pages 1 and 7, vol. 109, number 19.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 22, 2000, page 2, vol. 109, number 25.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 13, 2002, page 1, vol. 110, number 94.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 4, 2003, page 5, vol. 112, number 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 16, 2004, pages 1 and 3, vol. 112, number 141.

“Democracy’s University – A History of Colorado State University 1970 – 2003” by James E. Hansen II, 2007, pp. 230, 361.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page