CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Military Science Annex/Dairy and Meats Laboratory, 1928-

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects – Eugene G. Groves (original), Roland L. Linder (1948 remodeling)

Builder – Brown-Schrepferman Construction Company of Englewood, Colorado (1948 remodeling)

201 University Avenue

In June 1924, Eugene Groves presented a plan to the State Board of Agriculture for a proposed 40’ x 100’ Dairy Laboratory building. The dairy laboratory in the basement of the Agricultural Hall was now too small and very overcrowded.  A shortage of funds put this project on hold, and the North Barracks building was remodeled to try to accommodate some of the needs.  A fire in the barracks on January 28, 1927, forced the issue of constructing a new building.  Money from the fire insurance on the old military barracks provided most of the funds needed to build this new facility. 

Built on part of the site of the old military barracks, this new building opened in the fall of 1928.  This state-of-the-art building originally housed the dairy processing classes and meat cutting classes. It is described as “20th Century Commercial” style architecture. 

The Dairy Lab used the west portion of the building while the Meats Lab used the east.  The Dairy and Meats Laboratory building was used by the Animal Husbandry/Animal Science Department through 1959.  For three decades it was a tradition that samples of ice cream made fresh in the Dairy Lab were served to delighted campus visitors.  A major repair and remodeling job was completed in 1948 by the Brown-Schrepferman Construction Company of Englewood, Colorado.  Roland L. Linder did the architectural work on that project.

In January 1960, the Dairy and Meats Labs had moved into their newly constructed facilities in the new Animal Sciences Building.  This building was remodeled and renamed the “Military Science Annex”.  It now accommodated activities related to the Army and Air Force R.O.T.C. programs including the supply rooms for both services.  Some of the original window sections were filled in with brick.  The east end of the building still has the evidence of double doors and overhead rail where supplies and carcasses were moved in and out of the building for the old Meats Lab.  The south side of the building has a small loading dock where trucks bringing containers of fresh milk from the College Dairy could be unloaded for processing, bottling and packaging by students working in the Dairy Lab.

In August 2019, the three original wooden doors on the north side of the building were replaced with steel doors and new lock systems.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 14, 1922, page 2, col. 5, vol. XXXII, number 18.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, May 21, 1924, page 287.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 4, 1924, page 407, vol. 3.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, June 20, 1924, page 290.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, July 21, 1924, page 293, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, August 23, 1924, page 295, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 3, 1925, page 2, vol. XXXV, number 8.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, July 23, 1927, page 437, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

C.A.C. Alumnus, July – August 1927, page 4, vol. 8, numbers 3 & 4.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 5, 1927, page 1, vol. XXXVII, number 4.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 23, 1927, page 1, vol. XXXVII, number 11.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, December 14, 1927, pages 1-2, vol. XXXVII, number 14.

C.A.C. Alumnus, July – August 1928, page 12, vol. 9, numbers 3 – 4.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, August 25, 1928, page 489, vol. Jan. 1917 – Aug. 1930.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 24, 1928, pages 1, 2, vol. XXXVIII, number 7, page 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 21, 1928, page 1, col. 1, vol. XXXVIII, number 11.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 27, 1929, page 1, col. 6-7, vol. XXXVIII, number 22.

C.A.C. Alumnus, March 1929, pages 1 and 4, vol. 9, number 11.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 2, 1929, page 1, col. 2, vol. XXXIX, number 3.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, July 24, 1935, page 286.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 9, 1938, page 1, vol. XLVIII, number 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 19, 1940, page 1, vol. L, number 3.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 26, 1940, page 5, vol. L, number 4.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 9, 1944, page 4, col. 4, vol. LIV, number 10.

“Colorado A & M College 33rd Annual Summer Session 1945”, LD1146.C61 1945-1954.

Colorado A&M News, October 1946, page 8, vol. 1, number 4.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 14, 1947, page 230.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, August 7, 1947, page 246.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, November 5, 1947, page 272.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 10, 1947, page 287.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 27, 1950, page 10, vol. LIX, number 15.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 14, 1950, page 11, vol. LIX, number 24.

Colorado A&M News, January 1952, pages 4 and 8, vol. 6, number 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 8, 1952, page 11, vol. LXI, number 17.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, page s13.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 5, 1957, page 8, vol. LXV, number 42.

Colorado State University News, June 1957, page 2, vol. 11, number 12.

Colorado State University Collegian, September 18, 1959, page 3, vol. LXVIII, number 1.

CSU Collegian, April 26, 1972, page 1, vol. LXXX, number 116.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Fort Collins Journal, November 1, 1976, page 1, vol. LXXXV.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 21, 1984, page 1, vol. XCII, number 107.

“Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University - A Century of Service to the Livestock Industry 1903 – 2003” by Dr. John Matsushima and Animal Department Staff, 2004, page 6.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page