CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Monfort Quadrangle/Agricultural Quadrangle/Agricultural Mall, 1958-

Buildings of various levels surround a large dirt parking area.

Agricultural Quadrangle, 1958

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

The last of the original College Farm buildings had been removed by the summer of 1958.  In the fall of 1958, the Plant Science Building and the Animal Sciences Building were both under construction.  Both were opened and ready for classes in January 1960.  These two new buildings along with the existing Shepardson Building and the National Seed Storage Lab created an open lawn area on this part of campus that became commonly called the “Agricultural Quadrangle”.

On September 2, 1995, during the administration of Dr. Albert C. Yates, this lawn area was officially named the “Monfort Quadrangle” to honor the Kenneth Monfort family who had contributed many dollars to the University as a result of their success in the beef industry.  A central seating area was built as a central feature of the newly named Monfort “Quad”.

On August 28, 2012, the “Monfort Quad” entered the national spotlight when it was the site of a visit to campus by President Barack Obama as he campaigned for his second term.  He spoke to a crowd of 13,000 people who had waited hours to get tickets for admission.  This became the first time a President of the United States had visited the campus while in-office.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Colorado A&M News, December 1955, pages 1-9, vol. 10, number 6.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 15, 1957, page 132.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 7, 1957, page 153.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, January – February 1958, pages 4 - 5, vol. 34, number 3.

Colorado State University Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 17, 1960, page 3, vol. LXVIII, number 53.

Colorado State University Collegian, December 4, 1963, page 1, vol. LXXII, number 40.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, p. 378.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, June 30, 1982, page 8, vol. XCI, number 9.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 5, 1984, page 1, vol. XCII, number 134.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 31, 1988, page 1, vol. 97, number 67.

Comment, August 24, 1995, page 2, vol. 26, number 1.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 11, 1995, page 6, vol. 104, number 22.

Colorado State University Alumni, Winter 1995-96, pages 12-13.

“Silver Spruce, 1996-97”, vol. 92, page 83.

Comment, March 25, 1999, page 1, vol. 29, number 24.

“Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University - A Century of Service to the Livestock Industry 1903 – 2003” by Dr. John Matsushima and Animal Department Staff, 2004, pages 53-54.

“Democracy’s University – A History of Colorado State University 1970 – 2003” by James E. Hansen II, 2007, p. 348.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_21419765/obama-rally-young-voters-at-colorado-state-university.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page