CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Buildings and Grounds Buildings, 1939-1958

An exterior view of the main office of the Buildings and Grounds Department. The front of the building has two doors in the center with windows beside them and a window above on the pitched roof. A car is parked beside it.

Main Office for Buildings and Grounds Department, 1957

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

On June 27, 1933, the Executive Committee of the State Board of Agriculture formally reorganized how the buildings and grounds would be cared for.  The use of labor provided by staff of the College Farm was discontinued and a new “Bureau of Operation and Maintenance” was created.  Professors LD Crain, Henry Jordan and George Beach were placed in charge of its three functional areas.  Care of the buildings, heating, water, and gas infrastructure along with general hauling and snow removal was given to Professor Crain.  Care of electrical systems including telephones was given to Professor Jordan.  The care of the campus landscaping was given to Assistant Professor Beach.  Professor Crain was authorized to hire two assistants to handle the daily work.  Much of the existing heavy equipment owned by the college would be shared by the College Farm staff, Experiment Station staff, and this new department.  Within a few years, separate facilities to house this new department would be needed.

In 1939, these offices, shops, sheds, and garages served as the center for organizing campus maintenance operations by the Department of Buildings and Grounds.  At the time they were originally located well west of the Main Campus buildings.  They were removed in 1958 after the new buildings to house the Physical Plant Department operations that flanked West Pitkin Street west of the railroad tracks were built.

The main offices were in a 9,961 square foot, single story brick building that stood just south of the Hydraulics Lab Reservoir.  This building, along with other shop and support buildings, were all torn down to clear the site for the construction of the new CSU Student Center. 

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, June 27, 1933, pages 152-153.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, June 27, 1934, pages 248, vol. Sept. 1930 – Aug. 1940.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, July 15, 1938, page 307.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, January 30, 1939, page 314, vol. Sept. 1930 – Aug. 1940.

State Board of Agriculture Executive Committee Minutes, March 18, 1939, page 320, vol. Sept. 1930 – Aug. 1940.

Colorado State Gold Book 1939-1940 – Information for Prospective Students”, published in the summer of 1939.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 7, 1949, page 2, vol. LVIII, number 12.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, pages 13, 27 and campus maps.

Colorado A & M News, December 1955, page 2, vol. 10, number 6.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 23, 1957, page 7, vol. LXV, number 47.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 15, 1958, page 7, vol. LXVI, number 46.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page