CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Behavioral Sciences Building, 2010-

Five people are walking on the sidewalks in front of the Behavioral Science building. There are grassy circular islands adjoining the walks and the building is behind it. The building features many windows and stone trim.

Behavioral Sciences Building, 2015

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects - Martha Bennett, Linda Wagner & Donald Grody of Denver

Builder – Pinkard Construction Company of Denver

410 West Pitkin Street

Built on a former parking lot south of the Clark Building, the Behavioral Sciences Building opened for classes in the fall of 2010. This building was designed by the architectural firm of Bennett, Wagner & Grody of Denver. Located just south of the C-wing of the Clark Building, this classroom building added much-needed classroom space to the growing campus. The Lake Street Parking Garage was built to replace the parking spaces lost when this building was constructed. Some surface parking remained to the east of the Behavioral Science Building and the University Greenhouses.

Lecture halls are located on the first floor. The upper floors house the Department of Psychology, the Psychological Services Center, and the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences. The building features a rooftop patio, an atrium with study lounges, a coffee shop, as well as several group study rooms, specially designed classrooms, and a large lecture hall with an impressive projection and sound system. In 2010, this lecture hall was said to be unlike anything else found on campus.

The building opened in 2010 with a laptop computer checkout service with 55 Dell laptops and 5 MacBook Pros available for checkout to students. The computers were loaded with a standard set of software including Microsoft Office, Java and Flash, and flatbed scanners and printers are also available for the students, thanks to funding provided by student technology fees.

Water runoff from the roof is channeled to spe­cially designed “wetlands” on the south and east sides of the building which naturally filters the water before discharging it into storm sewers. Native grass­es have been planted around the structure to cut back on irrigation needs.

An addition to the building’s east side, complet­ed in 2014, provided a large auditorium classroom and more space, which enabled the Department of Communication Studies to move into offices on the second floor.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 25, 1972, page 5, vol. LXXXI, number 32.

Board of Governors Minutes, December 6, 2006, G-2.

Colorado State University booklet “A Great Place for Students to Live & Learn” Construction Highlights, published January 2013.

CSU Architects Alpha List, March 17, 2015, by James E. Hansen II. 

Information from Julia Innis of Facilities Management in September 2016 tells who was listed as the builder.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page