CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Plant Science Building, 1960-

Large stone and concrete building complex with shrubs in front.

Plant Science Building, 1981

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects – James M. Hunter and Associates (original), Michael L. Aller, David Lingle and Bradley Massey (2002)

Builder – Hensel Phelps Construction Company of Greeley, Colorado (original), Pinkard Construction Company of Denver (2002)

307 University Avenue

Ground was broken in 1958, and on January 6, 1960, the Plant Science Building was opened for its first day of classes.  It was built on part of the area that once was the livestock area of the original College Farm.  James M. Hunter designed this new state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory building that featured a 300-seat tiered lecture hall commonly known as the Plant Science Auditorium. This room was very similar to the Engineering Auditorium built two years earlier.  The Hensel Phelps Construction Company built the 88,000 square foot building at the cost of $1.3 million and contained $100,000 worth of equipment when it opened.

The Plant Science Building serves as the home to the Department of Soil and Crop Sciences and the Department of Bio-agricultural Sciences and Pest Management. The building also houses the “Gnotobiotics Laboratory” and several research labs, which are managed in cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).  The offices of the Colorado Seed Growers are in the building.

In 2002, the Plant Science Building was renovated and modernized with new seating, lighting, state-of-the-art multimedia presentation equipment and air conditioning in its Auditorium.  The exterior was given a sleek modern appearance.

The architectural firm of Michael L. Aller, David Lingle and Bradley Massey designed the renovations. The Pinkard Construction Company of Denver was the general contractor for the project that took place around the on-going USDA research work taking place in several of the laboratories.

In 2015 a new Master Plan was published.  It showed a large addition on the north side of the Plant Science Building.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, November – December 1955, pages 3 and 4, vol. 32, number 3.

Colorado A&M News, December 1955, pages 1-9, vol. 10, number 6.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September – October 1956, page 2, vol. 33, number 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 2, 1956, page 4, vol. LXV, number 13.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 12, 1956, page 104.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 8, 1957, pages 121-122.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 10, 1957, page 142.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 30, 1957, page 193.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September – October 1957, page 4, vol. 34, number 2.

Colorado State University News, October 1957, page 2, col. 2, vol. 12, number 4.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 4, 1957, pages 244-245.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, November 8, 1957, page 260.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 11, 1957, page 268.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, January – February 1958, pages 4 - 5, vol. 34, number 3.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, January 18, 1958, page 281.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 22, 1958, pages 287-295.

Colorado State University News, June 1958, page 6, vol. 12, number 12.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 17, 1958, page 3, vol. LXVII, number 7.

Colorado State University News, July 1959, page 14, vol. 13, number 10.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, September 12, 1959, pages 534-535.

Colorado State University Collegian, September 25, 1959, page 8, vol. LXVIII, number 3.

Colorado State University Collegian, November 13, 1959, page 4, vol. LXVIII, number 16.

Colorado State University News, December 1959, page 3, vol. 13, number 12.

Colorado State University Collegian, January 8, 1960, page 1, vol. LXVIII, number 22.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, January – February 1960, pages1, 4-5, vol. 36, number 1.

Colorado State University Rocky Mountain Collegian, May 17, 1960, page 3, vol. LXVIII, number 53.

Colorado State University Collegian, April 12, 1962, page 3, vol. LXX, number 86.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 23, 1965, page 1, vol. LXXIV, number 7.

CSU Collegian, April 25, 1969, page 3, vol. LXXVII, number 96.

CSU Collegian, October 30, 1969, page 8, vol. LXXVIII, number 29.

CSU Collegian, May 5, 1970, page 1, vol. LXXVIII, number 123.

CSU Collegian, April 13, 1972, page 1, vol. LXXX, number 107.

CSU Collegian, April 24, 1972, page 1, vol. VXXX, number 114.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 13, 1975, page 4, vol. LXXXIII, number 59.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, pp. 387, 423.

State Board of Agriculture Land: Chuck Terrell Interview, June 1986, page 8.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 5, 1999.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 24, 2002, pages 1 and 3, vol. 111, number 79.

Comment, February 14, 2002, page 1, vol. 32, number 20.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, August 22, 2002, pages 1 and 5, vol. 111, number 9.

“Visionary Leadership, the Memoirs of William E. Morgan”, page 95, by Connie Pheiffenberger, 2005.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 10, 2015, page 4, vol. 123, number 121.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 24, 2015, pages 3 and 13, vol. 123, number 126.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page