CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Glover Building/Glover Veterinary Hospital, 1950-

A two-story brick building. A sign on the wall reads "George H. Glover Veterinary Hospital 1949".

Glover Building, 1960

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects - Sidney G. Frazier of Greeley (original), Architectural Resource Group (1987

Builder – Brown-Schrepferman Construction Company of Englewood, Colorado (original)

451 Isotope Drive

In the early fall of 1948, ground was broken for College’s newest veterinary hospital. In 1949, as the $520,000 facility was being completed, the course of study to receiving a D.V.M. degree was lengthened from five to six-years.  On January 11, 1950, the legendary Dr. George H. Glover died at his son’s home in Torrington, Wyoming.    He was credited with founding the Veterinary Medicine program we know today at CSU.  On January 12, 1950, the State Board of Agriculture voted to name the new Veterinary Hospital in his honor.

Dedication of the new hospital and teaching facility took place on February 20, 1950. Equipping the new complex took several more months as the animals could only be moved-in as the new cages and enclosures arrived and were properly installed.

In October 1950, it was reported that all of the animals had finally been moved into this new facility and the old hospital was effectively shut down. 

Dr. Floyd Cross was the Dean of Veterinary Medicine at the time the building was opened.  The new Glover Veterinary Hospital featured separate small and large animal clinics whose services were available to people seeking treatment for their pets as well as farm and ranch livestock.  The large-animal receiving area presented an air of austerity and practicality, while the small-animal clinic featured a spacious room with green tiled floor and large windows providing a view of the mountains.  It was furnished with divans, a table for current magazines and a subdued color scheme.  This comfortable room was the receiving room as well as the pet owner’s waiting room.  The differences directly related to the owner’s respective attitudes towards their animals.  Large-animal owners wanted a practical, economic place to receive treatment while the owners of the small-animals tended to visit more often or stayed around longer for “news of their beloved pet’s condition”.

The new building incorporated a special safety entrance for sickness-crazed animals and a bank of second floor seats to permit students to observe the activities of the operating room.  The operating room featured a special operating table, designed by Dr. James Farquharson that could be hydraulically raised from floor level or tilted to almost any angle.  Each large-animal stall included a hayrack, a feed bowl, and an automatic drinking fountain.  To fill the drinking bowl, the animal quickly learned that water magically appeared after pressing a little lever with its nose.  The small-animal clinic had all of the state-of-the-art treatment features as well as a free diagnostic laboratory to serve Colorado livestock and poultry owners.  Additions and improvements to the original building were made in 1954 and 1958 as the “School of Veterinary Medicine” grew from a division and into a college as the institution evolved into a university.

Built on the west edge of the Main Campus, new construction over the next twenty years took place that completely surrounded this building.  Access to the hospital by its clients became more difficult each year. After years of struggling to get the money needed, it was replaced as the University’s Veterinary Hospital in early 1979 with the opening of the massive new Veterinary Teaching Hospital located on the South Campus.

The old Glover Veterinary Hospital building sat mostly unused for the next three years.  Some dance classes used the building in 1980 and 1981 as Ammons Hall was undergoing repairs from a fire. Using the design of the Architectural Resource Group, the building was remodeled and added to from the summer of 1983 until the spring of 1984.  Costing $5 million, it was rededicated and renamed the “Glover Building” on October 4, 1984.

The Glover Building began its service as offices and classrooms for the College of Engineering as well as home to the University Telecommunications Office.  In the spring of 1992, the Glover Building again expanded with another addition called the Colorado Bioprocessing Center.

In 2015 a new Master Plan was published.  It showed a new building on the site of the current Glover Building.

Sources by Gordon Hazard

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 24, 1946, page 1, col. 3, vol. LV, number 14.

Colorado A&M News, October 1946, page 1, vol. 1, number 4.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 24, 1947, page 10, col. 1, vol. LVII, number 4.

Colorado A&M News, January 1948, page 2, vol. 2, number 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 6, 1948, page 1, col. 1, vol. LVII, number 15.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 21, 1948, page 304.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 22, 1948, page 4, vol. LVIII, number 5.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, November 13, 1948, page 390.

Biennial Report of the State Board of Agriculture, December 1948, pages 3-4.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 23, 1949, page 3, vol. LIX, number 1.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, January 14, 1950, page 489.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 20, 1950, page 1, col. 1, vol. LIX, number 14.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, January – February 1950, pages 1 and 3, vol. XXVII, number 13.

Colorado A&M News, February 1950, page 5, vol. 4, number 8.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 10, 1950, page 1, vol. LIX, number 17.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 24, 1950, page 1, vol. LIX, number 19.

“1950 Silver Spruce”, pages 127 and 198, vol. 45.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 20, 1950, page 2, col. 1, vol. LX, number 5.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 12, 1950, page 559.

“Long Range Development Program”, Report to the Colorado State Planning Commission, March 1952, pages 14, 31, LD1145.8, A452.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, October 23, 1953, page 268.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 12 1954, page 321.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 27, 1954, pages 340 and 341.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, January 21, 1955, pages 439.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 11, 1955, page 450.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 11, 1955, page 463.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, March – April 1955, page 3, vol. 31, number 5.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 22, 1956, page 49.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September – October 1956, page 2, vol. 33, number 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 2, 1956, page 4, vol. LXV, number 13.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 12, 1956, page 103.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 8, 1957, page 121.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 10, 1957, page 142.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 30, 1957, page 193.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, June 21, 1957, pages 195-196.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, December 11, 1957, page 267.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 22, 1958, page 295.

Colorado State University News, March 1958, pages 1, 3-4, vol. 12, number 9.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 13, 1958, page 323.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 13, 1959, page 432.

Colorado State University News, April 1959, page 15, col. 1, vol. 13, number 9.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, July - August 1959, page 3, vol. 35, number 4.

“1968 Silver Spruce”, pages 116-117.

CSU Collegian, February 6, 1969, page 7, vol. LXXVII, number 59.

CSU Collegian, October 3, 1969, page 6, vol. LXXVIII, number 13.

CSU Collegian, October 6, 1970, page 1, vol. LXXIX, number 11.

CSU Collegian, February 16, 1971, page 1, vol. LXXIX, number 80.

CSU Collegian, May 7, 1971, page 11, vol. LXXIX, number 128.

CSU Collegian, May 10, 1971, page 7, vol. LXXIX, number 130.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 8, 1975, page 1, vol. LXXXIII, number 56.

CSU Comments, February 5, 1976, pages 1 and 3, vol. 6, number 22.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 27, 1976, page 1, vol. LXXXIV, number 107.

CSU Comments, November 18, 1976, page 4, vol. 7, number 14.

Fort Collins Journal, February 4, 1977, page 4, vol. LXXXV.

Fort Collins Journal, September 21, 1977, page 1, vol. LXXXVI, number 31.

Fort Collins Journal, October 26, 1977, page 1, vol. LXXXVI, number 56.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, p. 356.

Fort Collins Journal, February 27, 1979, page 12, vol. LXXXVII, number 113.

CSU Comments, March 15, 1979, page 1, vol. 9, number 16.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, March 27, 1981, page 7-6.

Colorado State University Alumni Association Alumnus, June 1982, page 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 17, 1982, pages 1 and 10, vol. XCI, number 30.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 7, 1982, pages 1 and 2, vol. XCI, number 41.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, April 8, 1983, page 3.

Chiron’s Time: A History of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at Colorado State University”, 1983, by J. Dennis McGuire and James E. Hansen II, pp. 101-104, SF777 .M38.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, August 31, 1983, page 1, vol. XCII, number 21.

Colorado State University Comment, September 1, 1983, page 3, vol.14, number 3.

Colorado State University Comment, September 15, 1983, pages 1-2, vol.14, number 5.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 7, 1983, page 10, vol. XCII, number 48.

Colorado State University Comment, March 15, 1984, pages 1- 3, vol. 14, number 25.

Colorado State University Comment, September 27, 1984, page 4, vol. 15, number 7.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 5, 1984, pages 1, 11 and 15, vol. 93, number 49.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, January 25, 1985, page 1, vol. 93, number 100.

“One Hundred Years of Engineering at Colorado State University:  Fulfilling the Land-Grant Mission” by Ann Hilfinger, 1989, page 58.

Comment, November 7, 1991, page 1, vol. 22, number 11.

Comment, February 13, 1992, page 2, vol. 22, number 18.

Comment, September 10, 1992, page 3, vol. 23, number 2.

Comment, September 17, 1992, page 3, vol. 23, number 3.

Colorado State University Alumnus, November - December 1992, page 2.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 9, 1998, pages 1 and 2, vol. 106, issue 128.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 14, 2003, page 5, vol. 112, number 37.

“Visionary Leadership, the Memoirs of William E. Morgan”, pages 94 and 95, by Connie Pheiffenberger, 2005.

“Democracy’s University – A History of Colorado State University 1970 – 2003” by James E. Hansen II, 2007, p. 72.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page