CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Weather Station, 1961-

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architects – Physical Plant Department staff and Professor Maxwell Parshall

601 West Plum Street

Designed by staff at the Physical Plant Department and Professor Maxwell Parshall, the weather station was opened in May 1961 south of Allison Hall and replaced the one used for the previous 50 years. It was the third move for the station, which had been recording the weather at CSU for eight decades.  Parshall supervised the weather information gathering at CSU from 1937 until his retirement in early 1961. 

Basic meteorological data relating to Fort Collins is compiled at this facility which contains an observing tower supporting an assortment of weather monitoring equipment. Weather observations consist of automated measurements of temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, pressure, solar radiation, and soil temperatures updated every 10 minutes. Daily climate records have been kept since January 1, 1889, making this one of Colorado’s oldest weather stations and a valuable scientific resource. The Weather Station is operated by the Department of Atmospheric Science.

Around 2003, with the impending construction of the Transit Center, discussions were held about moving the weather station to another place on the campus.  So critical was its location to maintain accurate and consistent weather records, the move was abandoned.  Additional landscaping was done to enhance the appearance of the building and its grounds.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Colorado A&M News, December 1955, pages 1-9, vol. 10, number 6.

Colorado State University Collegian, April 27, 1961, page 1, vol. LXIX, number 99.

University Historic Photo Collection, image B8499, dated April 1961.

Summer Session News, July 21, 1961, vol. XI, number 5, page 3.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September-October 1961, page 6, vol. 37, number 4.

Colorado State University Collegian, October 6, 1965, page 1, col. 2-3, vol. LXXIV, number 16.

CSU Collegian, October 11, 1968, page 4, vol. LXXVII, number 13.

CSU Collegian, May 8, 1969, page 5, vol. LXXVII, number 99.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 27, 1972, page 4, vol. LXXXI, number 51.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

Fort Collins Journal, July 10, 1978, page 1, vol. LXXXVII, number 6.

Colorado State University Comment, November 7, 1985, pages 1-2, vol. 16, number 12.

Colorado State University Comment, April 3, 1986, pages 1-2, vol.16, number 26.

Colorado State University Comment, October 15, 1987, page 3, vol. 18, number 9.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 2, 1994, page 1, vol. 103, number 22.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 30, 1996, page 1, vol. 104, issue 148.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, March 28, 1997, page 1, vol. 105, issue 118.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, June 12, 2002, page 2, vol. 111, number 1.

“Visionary Leadership, the Memoirs of William E. Morgan”, page 95, by Connie Pheiffenberger, 2005.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page