CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Stock Judging Pavilion (1959 - 2016)

A barrel roofed structure with animal bays.

Stock Judging Pavilion, 1959

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Architect – James M. Hunter and Associates

Builder – Hensel Phelps Construction Company of Greeley

351 West Pitkin Street

Work on the new Stock Judging Pavilion was started in the summer of 1958. It was built in conjunction with the Animal Sciences Building and was ready for use in early 1959. James M. Hunter designed this facility to replace the 1905 vintage pavilion that was torn down to accommodate campus expansion in 1959. The Hensel Phelps Construction Company of Greeley, Colorado won the bid to construct the building. In the early years, a footbridge over the open Arthur Ditch had to be used to access the building from the north. In the early 1960s, the irrigation ditch was enclosed, and the bridge was removed.

About 1990, the granite marker remembering “Mama”, the milk production record-holding CSU Holstein dairy cow was relocated to the left of the pavilion’s entrance from the now closed CSU Dairy Center on the South Campus. The Stock Judging Pavilion received upgrades in 1993.

In 2015 it was announced that this building would soon be removed to make way for the new Chemistry Research Building. Teaching and judging courses previously held at the pavilion were moved to the ARDEC (Agricultural Research, Development, and Education Center). “Mama’s” granite marker was moved to the northwest corner of the Animal Sciences Building.

During January 2016, deconstruction of the building took place and during the first week of February 2016 it was demolished to clear the building site for the new Chemistry Research Building. It was noted that this was a well-built building as it appeared to take a lot of hard work to remove the stout reinforced walls of the old pavilion.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

Colorado A&M News, October 1946, page 1, vol. 1, number 4.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, November – December 1955, pages 3 and 4, vol. 32, number 3.

Colorado A&M News, December 1955, pages 1-9, vol. 10, number 6.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, February 22, 1958, pages 287-295.

The Colorado Aggie Alumnus, September – October 1959, page 10, vol. 35, number 5.

CSU Collegian, September 27, 1967, page 5, col. 1, vol. LXXVI, number 4.

“A History of Colorado State University 1870 – 1974”, by James E. Hansen II, 1974.

“Democracy’s College in the Centennial State – A History of Colorado State University” by James E. Hansen II, 1977, p. 387.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, October 3, 1988, pages 1 and 3, vol. 97, number 55.

“Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University - A Century of Service to the Livestock Industry 1903 – 2003” by Dr. John Matsushima and Animal Department Staff, 2004, pages 56-57.

“Visionary Leadership, the Memoirs of William E. Morgan”, page 95, by Connie Pheiffenberger, 2005.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page