CSU Archives and Special Collections

CSU Buildings and Grounds History

A history of CSU's building and grounds from 1870 to the present.

Hazardous Wastes Storage Building/Hazardous Materials Storage Facility, 1978-

From CSU's Sense of Place:  A Campus History of Colorado's Land-Grant University, by James E. Hansen, Gordon A. Hazard, and Linda M. Meyer.  Fort Collins, CO:  Colorado State University, 2018.

Builder – Sun Construction Company of Longmont, Colorado

202 West Lake Street

In November 1978, CSU Environmental Health Services converted a building adjoining Central Re­ceiving for use as a bulk storage facility for commonly used chemicals. It became known as the Hazardous Materials Storage Facility, but by May 1981 it was razed to make way for a better replacement.

The new structure, located west of Central Re­ceiving and named the Hazardous Wastes Storage Building, opened in 1984. It was specially designed to safely store the wide variety of non-radioac­tive hazardous waste created by a large research university. It adhered to EPA standards for the containment of liquids, gases, and solids. A fence surrounding the facility limits access to authorized personnel.

Sources by Gordon A. Hazard

CSU Collegian, February 27, 1967, page 1, vol. LXXV, number 72.

CSU Comments, November 16, 1978, pages 1 and 2, vol. 9, number 14.

The Collegian, February 4, 1981, pages 20-21, vol. LXXXIX, number 63.

CSU Comments, February 26, 1981, page 1, vol. 11, number 22.

State Board of Agriculture Minutes, May 13, 1981, page 5-1.

The Collegian, June 3, 1981, page 2, vol. LXXXIX, number 114.

CSU Comment, December 8, 1983, pages 1-2, vol. 14, number 16.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 3, 1988, page 1, vol. 96, number 89.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, September 11, 1989, pages 1 and 9, vol. 98, number 24.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, summer 1991, pages 1 and 2, vol. 99, issue 150.

Comment, March 5, 1992, page 3, vol. 22, number 2.

State Board of Agriculture Land: Chuck Terrell Conversation, October 26, 1992, page 5.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, February 14, 1996, page 1, vol. 104, issue 100.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, November 6, 1997, pages 1 and 2, vol. 106, issue 54.

Rocky Mountain Collegian, April 4, 2005, pages 1 and 3, vol. 113, number 124.

“Democracy’s University – A History of Colorado State University 1970 – 2003” by James E. Hansen II, 2007, p. 228.

Information from Julia Innis of Facilites Management in September 2016.

Your Librarian

Profile Photo
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
she/her/hers
Contact:
Vicky Lopez-Terrill
Colorado State University Libraries
Archives and Special Collections
Room 202
970-491-1466
Social: Twitter Page

24/7 Library Help

24/7 Library Help

Connect with library staff via chat, email, phone or text.

URL: https://libguides.colostate.edu/campus_building_histories | Print Page